incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer ...@a-w-f.de>
Subject English dictionary extensions
Date Fri, 11 May 2012 09:35:45 GMT
Hi all,

During my search for a british spell checking extension I have made
some observations I would like to share with you:

At the moment we are shipping the english dictionary extensions
     dict-en.oxt
     en_CA_2_0_0.oxt
     dict-en-au-2008-12-15.oxt
     dict-en-nz-2008-12-03.oxt
     en_US.oxt

For some unknown reason (probably a fault of mine)
     dict-en_ZA-2009.10.22
is not shipped anymore.

When I looked into the extensions I found that dict-en.oxt already
contains data for most english locales:

- dictionaries for (.aff and .dic files) for
    AU
    CA
    GB
    US
    ZA

- hyphenation for GB and US (according to their file names).  The US
version is ignored, the GB
   version is installed for AU, CA, GB, US, ZA

- thesaurus for US (according to its file name) which is installed for
   AU, CA, GB, US, ZA

It does not install any files for NZ.

The other extensions provide (besides duplicates/other versions of
files listed above) these missing combinations:

en_CA_2_0_0.oxt provides hyphenation and thesaurus for CA

dict-en-au-2008-12-15.oxt provides hyphenation and thesaurus for AU

dict-en-nz-2008-12-03.oxt provides dictionary for NZ (it uses GB
     hyphenation and US thesaurus.)

dict-en_ZA-2009.10.22.oxt provides dictionary for ZA (but no
     hyphenation nor thesaurus.)

I am not quite sure how this data can help beside that the fact that
there already is a GB spellchecker and that we can probably drop the
en_US.oxt extensions, it does not anything new (as long as its
dictionary files are not newer/better than the ones in dict-en.oxt.)

Best regards,
Andre