incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "How To Install Apache OpenOffice 3.4 Via PPA On Ubuntu 12.04/11.10"
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 23:33:49 GMT

On 05/10/2012 03:50 PM, Andrew Rist wrote:

> On 5/10/2012 3:40 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>

>> On 05/10/2012 10:21 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>> http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/05/how-to-install-apache-openoffice-34-via.html
>>>

>>> Is there someplace on the website or wiki where we could add this
>>> link? Maybe the release notes?
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>
>> This is added to the instructions page now...
>>
> Are we comfortable with this install? Do we know who upubuntu are?
> As far as I can tell, they have done a file dif on an installed system
> and zipped up the file changes and delivered them in a .deb (over
> simplification - but you get the idea)
> I think this packaging falls short in terms of proper structuring of
> dependencies, managing the overlap with LO on the system, and general
> PPMC control of the package. Pointing it out on the G+ is one thing,
> writing it into our instructions might be something to rethink.
>
> A.

Well you have a point...it can easily be removed by me or anyone who can
edit the page.

But, there is the disclaimer at the beginning and a Note at the end of
this particular section that these packages. It could probably use some
editing though,

...and this...

"managing the overlap with LO on the system"...hmmm...do you think this
should be covered in the instructions anyway? We could make an attempt.

Really, I don't know what in our standard release deals with this. If
someone would provide details to include in the installation
instructions, this would be very helpful.
MzK

  Helping you out."
                             -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette