incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <>
Subject Re: Performance!
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 15:44:50 GMT
On 5/10/12 5:30 PM, drew wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 17:23 +0200, Andre Fischer wrote:
>>> Alright - likely I don't need to ask this - The packages ship from a
>>> really different mindset, one Aoo is bare bones (particularly this
>>> specific release) and LibO comes with condiments.
>> I don´t know about bare bones.  Sure, we removed a small number of
>> libraries, but AOO 3.4 is still a regular release when it comes to
>> functionality.
>>> So - just to be sure, did you pull out the extras (the extensions) that
>>> come default with LibO, before checking the footprint?
>> Extensions are loaded on demand.  Even if Libre Office includes more
>> extensions and may even have turned some extensions into "regular" code,
>> that does not change the size of soffice.bin.
> I think it does - I just did that, though I'm under Linux currently, so
> perhaps that's a difference - anyway - added extensions to both Aoo and
> Libo and the footprint for soffice.bin changed in each, for subsequent
> loads.

it depends indeed on the extension. The loading on demand conclusion is
of course correct but depends on the service provider interface (SPI)
that is used.

But the point right now is that the majority of users don't care about
this and see only that AOO is starting fast. A fact that I like very
much because there were indeed some improvements for 3.4.

And how nice is it when users notice such improvements without deeper
analysis. The fact that users simply having the impression that it
starts fast is very nice.

So let us focus on further improvement going in this direction. Let us
make our users happy. Many many happy users and their positive feedback
is the payment that we get for our work here.

> //drew
>> -Andre

View raw message