incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer ...@a-w-f.de>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL]: Apache OpenOffice Next-Gen logo...
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 07:56:33 GMT
On 09.05.2012 23:37, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On May 9, 2012, at 12:24 AM, Andre Fischer wrote:
>
>> On 09.05.2012 08:33, Kevin Grignon wrote:
>>> Michael,
>>>
>>> Thanks for sharing the logo mockups. Also, I appreciate you acknowledging
>>> my earlier contributions - most gracious.
>>>
>>> With AOO 3.4 just hitting the streets, now is the time to think about
>>> performing some design research and explorations in support of branding for
>>> AOO 4.0.
>>>
>>> Perhaps you could create an AOO 4.0 logo concepts page on the wiki to
>>> capture these great ideas. I also have a number of concepts that I would
>>> like to share with you and others for input.
>>
>> Maybe we can do a logo contest similar to the one Apache Flex did?
>>
>>     http://incubator.apache.org/flex/logo-contest.html
>
> I'm a mentor on Apache Flex. That contest was very fun, generated more email on flex-dev
than you would believe. There were over 50 different logo submissions submitted from everyone
including professional design firms and hobbyists. I am very impressed with the design talent
in the Flex community.

> If we would like to do this then I would gladly go to the flex lists with the contest
form. If we do such a contest then we should ask for at least these designs.

That sounds like a great idea.  I looked a while ago through most of the
contest entries and was impressed by a lot of them.  But then again, I
am not a lawyer^H^H^H^H^H^H designer.

-Andre

> (1) Logo - including dark and light treatments.
> (2) Web Banner treatment - with room for differing NL text.
> (3) Presentation template.
> (4) Application splash screen.
> (5) Icon.
>
> Maybe not all at once, but we should make it clear that the intention would be that the
winner would provide the designs and enough guidance for us to proceed.

> Regards,
> Dave
>

>> -Andre
>>

>>> In addition, I suggest we capture some background material on the intent of
>>> the visual identity. With new AOO contributors and an ever evolving product
>>> landscape we may want to revisit the message, positioning and emotions that
>>> the identity is looking to realize. This effort should be in concert with
>>> any and all AOO business and marketing efforts.
>>>
>>> Some thoughts...
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Kevin

Calc,