incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Handling of pictures in Writer
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 19:46:33 GMT
Am 08.05.12 13:12, schrieb Oliver-Rainer Wittmann:
> Hi,
>
> On 07.05.2012 18:20, eric b wrote:
>>
>> Le 7 mai 12 à 18:01, Regina Henschel a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>

>> Hi Regina,
>>

>>> user often ask why they cannot rotate pictures in Writer, e.g issue
>>> 3545.
>>> There exists a tip to copy a picture from Draw to Writer, then it can be
>>> rotated. But that Draw-picture is different from a Writer- picture.
>>>
>>> I have made a table to collect the differences between
>>> Writer-pictures and
>>> Draw-pictures.
>>

>> Thanks a lot !
>>
>> FYI, there was a little mismatch with the issue number, and I fixed it
>> on the wiki
>>

>>> It is currently in my personal area on the Media-wiki. If you find it
>>> useful
>>> and you know a suitable place, please tell me where to put it.
>>

>> I think it it the right location. Let's wait for other opinions though
>>

>>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User:Regina/ComparisonWriterDrawPicture
>>>

>> That's a very good idea. As you probably read in the issue, I took
>> over the
>> task, and I'll use this wiki page to report any progress and step done.
>>
>> The idea is, as discussed with Oliver and Armin, to reuse some Draw
>> features in
>> Writer, like (image rotation). There is a lot to do and any help is
>> welcome.
>>

> Armin's and my idea is mainly removing the Writer implementation for
> images/pictures, introduce all its features missing in the Drawing Layer
> implementation for images/pictures and use the Drawing Layer
> implementation for images/pictures in Writer.
> Our idea is quite old, but we never got the resources to work on it.
> Unfortunately, all the work we had done in preparation is lost. This
> lost work mainly covers something like you Regina had done. It
> summarized all the features of the Writer implementation which are
> currently not available in the Drawing Layer implementation. It also
> contained some planning of the corresponding implementation. But, it is
> lost and needs to be done again.

The work is not completely lost.
I have found the wiki page
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Writer/Unification_of_Graphic_Objects_and_Embedded_Objects

It contains more or less the summary of the ideas from Armin, Oliver
Specht, Henning Brinkmann and myself regarding our idea to remove the
Writer implementation for pictures/images/graphics and embedded object
in favor of the Drawing Layer implementations.
There are also given some details on the planned implementation.

Best regards, Oliver.