incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Giuseppe Castagno <giuseppe.casta...@acca-esse.eu>
Subject Re: Introduction
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 17:47:31 GMT
Ciao Pedro,

sorry for the delay but I first had to build AOO, just to be
re-acquainted with it

On 05/01/2012 04:32 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Benvenuto Giuseppe!
>
> On 05/01/12 06:25, Giuseppe Castagno wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> a few words to introduce myself.
>>
>> My name is Giuseppe Castagno, I live in very small town near Turin,
>> Italy.

> Wow.. and I have to say that I was thinking just yesterday how
> good it would be to have *you* around ;).
>
> I am relatively new to the project but I started with some code
> you wrote. I did some small changes to the icc module, mostly to
> change the license to Apache License 2, since using copyleft for
> the icc profile is simply a bad idea.
>
> I have a wishlist for that module:
>
> 1 - We need to update SampleICC: the original version is just too
> old and is not available online anymore. Maybe the SampleICC
> developers may be interested in having the ICC profile as a
> contributed sample.

I think this is the current:

http://www.color.org/sampleicc.xalter

It moved to 1.6.4, but I don't know if the color profile we need
changed, for this we need to have a look at the relevant PDF/A ISO Norms
(was ISO 19005-1:2005 plus ISO 19005-1:2005/Cor.1:2007(E)).
A quick look at the ISO web tells me nothing changed wrt PDF/A-1[ab]

That is: if the color profile didn't change I don't think there's a need
to update it.

> 2- We don't really need to have the icc profile built every time and
> we don't have the silly limitations imposed by the GPL so I
> was thinking of moving the icc profile generation out of the build
> (maybe to tools) and have the generated profile directly in vcl.

I agree, though I'm not sure how to implement it ATM.

> 3- It would be great if people could download and use the
> Adobe profile as an alternative (the stax module gives a similar
> option).

mm, this can be changed, putting the color profile in configuration and
giving the possibility to add a new one in some way (adding through an
extension mechanism may be?), or do you have something else in mind?

Of course changes to vcl and/or standard configuration may be needed,
because currently the sRGB profile is hard-coded into vcl.

Just some free-running ideas, though.

> If you feel like working on any of that do let me know and I
> will help review/commit it. Also, while not strictly mandatory,
> you are welcome to submit an iCLA:
>
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.pdf
>
> It's not as demanding as the previous SUN agreement but
> it is important if you want to become a committer later on.

submitted to the mail address show in the ICLA itself.

--
Kind Regards,
Giuseppe Castagno
giuseppe.castagno at acca-esse.eu