incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject 3.4 Release Notes overview / brief listing?
Date Mon, 07 May 2012 20:22:51 GMT
Given the large end-user population, it feels like it would be really
helpful for less technical users if the Release Notes [1] included both
an additional sentence in the first para about the change from
OpenOffice.org to Apache OpenOffice (same great stuff, just a "new"
name), and *especially* if they included a single *high-level* bullet
list of the major functional updates made.

I.e. while ooo-dev@ folks understand the distinctions between things
added from the OO340 codeline versus things completely new at Apache,
etc., the average end user won't have a clue what the difference is.
They're just looking for a simple high-level list of functionality
changes at the start of the document.

I'd think this could lump a number of the detailed items (which should
still be listed in the doc later on like they are!) into some "higher
level" items, like "Improved startup speed, reliability, and security"
as a rollup description of several of the features.

Just an idea.  If I have time tonight I'll try to make more specific
suggestions - although I hadn't realized the list was so long!

- Shane

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Release+Notes