incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Pages in the social media
Date Mon, 07 May 2012 15:56:34 GMT
Rob,

Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Claudio Filho <filhocf@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> 2012/5/6 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>:
>>> And same here.  An official project account should be linking back to
>>> the project website, not to www.escritoriolivre.org.
>> Rob, remember that we *haven't* infra yet. When we have a pt-br list,
>> naturally we will use it.
>>

> We have a page here: http://www.openoffice.org/pt-br/

<snip>

 I understand that OpenOffice.org did things differently here.  In some
> sense they compensated for strong corporate control of the code by
> giving more autonomy to the NLC.  That was how they "achieved peace"
> with the community,  But we don't have that issue here.   At Apache
> everyone has equal freedom to work directly within the project.

Sun's Hamburg team lead and, initially, the US elements, considered the NL projects as at
best walled gardens and at worst a waste of time. I had to proceed very cautiously with them,
until such a point that momentum took over.

And it took over:-) The LO/TDF contingent that left was almost entirely the NLC population.
Put another way, the NLC were not a palliative, or if it was thought by some to be such, was
a rather lousy one. Rather, they were vehicles to seek a sustainable community independent
of any one company.

The element that *was* mean to bring in people were the extensions, though these too were
not palliative. But this too took a rather long time to realise and put into effect, and as
some here can attest, it too was proceed with cautiously.

But I totally agree with your point that here, in Apache-land, things are fundamentally different
and more open, as governance is accountable to Apache and is not directed by the business
needs of any single company owning the code. The transition to this model is right now going
rather well, all things considered. But what will make the deciding difference, I believe,
is to build the ecosystem anew.

Louis