incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Setting Up Official Taiwan
Date Sun, 06 May 2012 18:07:26 GMT
On 2012-05-06 12:11 PM, imacat wrote:
> On 2012/05/06 23:34, Shane Curcuru said:
>> Basic guidelines would include:
>> - (P)PMC approval.  You're already handling this one here on the lists,
>> great!
>
>      Thanks.
>
>> - PPMC ownership.  More than one PPMC member should be able to fully
>> administer the account.  A best practice is to have several PPMC members
>> being able to post to the account at will, and to have a basic agreement
>> at keeping the PPMC apprised of the administrator list and allowing
>> other PPMC members to join as authors or administrators.
>
>      There is some problem here.  Currently there is no other Taiwan PMC
> member but me.  I plan to use these pages as a start to invite more
> volunteers, refer them to ooo-dev, and eventually propose some of them
> as new PMC members when appropriate.  Surely I can invite other
> English-speaking PPMC member to fullfill this request now, but that does
> not make sense.
>
>      In cases other than Taiwan, this means the official local page needs
> to have at least two PMC members in order to work.  That may not be an
> easy condition for non-English-speaking countries.

The minimum from the ASF side is that more than one PPMC member has
access to the account - for example to be able to quickly send an urgent
message, or if the account creator disappears and isn't maintaining the
account.  So adding another PPMC member to help administer will work
just fine - even if they don't speak your target language, they could at
least still access the account and update it (perhaps updating the list
of admins with a new volunteer) if for some reason you are not able to.

I.e. not everyone who is an admin on the account has to post to it
regularly.  Some projects - smaller ones than this, however - just send
the login details to all PMC members, just to ensure they can access the
account if needed.

Does that make sense?

I agree, the other important issue is having volunteers who can actually
post relevant things to the account regularly - it sounds like you are
covering that for the time being.

- Shane