incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Resignation from PPMC
Date Sat, 05 May 2012 18:27:10 GMT
Jean Weber wrote:
> I hereby resign from the Apache OpenOffice PPMC. I intend no further
> involvement with this project and will unsubscribe from all project
> lists after posting this note.
>
> For me, contributing to a volunteer project must be enjoyable. I do
> not enjoy working with this group, because of the behaviour of some of
> the key people, primarily Rob Weir.
>
> I remain available in my role with Friends of OpenDocument to process
> funding proposals for AOO marketing or other purposes. I also remain
> available to help anyone who wishes to get started using the AOO
> section of the ODFAuthors website.
>
> Goodbye and good luck.
>
> Regards,
> Jean Hollis Weber

Hi Jean,
I'll post publicly my feelings at the loss your absence figures. You were eloquent in your
reasons for leaving but I think that there is more. I don't wish for you or anyone to engage
in battle. That's not fun, and we've had enough of that. But I do think that there is room
to clarify the nature of the "leadership" on view and in practice at AOO. Put another way,
the de facto leads are IBM and the flock are mostly simply accepting. This reinscribes the
old set up, but with a huge difference: the arrangement for the project and the coding is
much more open now. So, rather than leave in disgust (a cliché, I don't think you are disgusted,
but the phrase describes the situation, I believe), arguably a better resolution would be
to suggest staging a post-mortem. The occasion could simply be, "One Year," or the release
of RC1 and its imminent anointment as GM.

I can do this--I mean stage the post-mortem--but I suspect it would be more powerful coming
from you.

best
Louis