incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [DL] question concerning NL downloads...or not
Date Fri, 04 May 2012 19:53:50 GMT
Am 05/04/2012 06:00 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:48 PM, Jürgen Lange<jl@juergen-lange.de>  wrote:
>
>> Hello Kay,
>>
>> +1
>>
>> This is a good idea.
>>
>> Jürgen
>>
>> Am 04.05.2012 00:59, schrieb Kay Schenk:
>>
>>   Just a quick philosophical questions for the upcoming 3.4 download.
>>>
>>> Right now, as I relayed in a previous message, I commented out ALL the
>>> language entries for which we have do not have packs available on our
>>> Apache mirror setup. What this means is that folks with a language string
>>> identifier which we are no longer supporting will probably end up on the
>>> "other.html" page, which is in English.
>>>
>>> Another option would be to setup the language array by placing them back
>>> in
>>> the process, and,  instead of commenting them out, indicate through one of
>>> the flags already available that the release for the language is NOT
>>> available on the mirror system, as many of them were already. Folks will
>>> then be sent back to their current native language site. There, of course,
>>> they will not find an update, but they won't be any worse off than they
>>> are
>>> now in some respects.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts on this? Is the latter alternative more desirable -- or not.

When I remember correct the "languages.js" file has some flags to send
the user with a specific language to an alternative webpage (if the
former NL community wanted to have this behavior). Mostly it was a
webpage somewhere on the respective NL webpage.

(To be more specific, the text in the green download box will then
change and the underlying link will change.)

So, we can leave all not supported languages and point them to the
"other.html". To point them to the respective NL webpage doesn't make
sense as it's quite sure that the content is outdated and therefore not
really helpful.

Marcus