incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Regina Henschel <rb.hensc...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: Distributing AOO 3.4: The 22 things we need to do before we announce
Date Thu, 03 May 2012 21:54:40 GMT
Hi Marcus,

Marcus (OOo) schrieb:
> Am 04/29/2012 11:50 PM, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
>> Am 04/29/2012 09:23 PM, schrieb Regina Henschel:
>>> Hi Marcus,

>>> Good idea to start.

>>> The interaction of the orange and green part is confusing. There is text
>>> "green button" but there is no green "button".
>>>
>>> The orange text itself is a hyperlink, but what target?
>>>
>>> The user might come to that page via search, but do not want the
>>> "legacy" but an actual version. I miss a hint, where to go.
>>>
>>> Please compare with http://www.openoffice.org/download/archive.html,
>>> from where I took the sentence in my suggestion.
>>>
>>> I suggest to use the orange part as information box.
>>>
>>> Legacy OpenOffice.org
>>>
>>> If you are searching for the most recent installation set, please visit
>>> the <link>Apache OpenOffice download</link> webpage. Please note
that
>>> archived builds are unsupported and may contain security issues. So,
>>> it's highly recommended not to use them but only when there is no other
>>> and better choice.
>>> OpenOffice.org is licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License
>>> v3 (LGPL v3)
>>>
>>> Download OpenOffice.org 3.3.0

>> Thanks for the hints. To do the HTML and JS stuff is easier than to find
>> the right words. ;-)
>>
>> Due to the CSS stuff I had to modify it a bit. I hope it's more clear
>> now.
>>
>> Marcus
>
> I've edited both webpages again:
>
> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/legacy/index.html

Users are likely do not really know about the difference between OOo and
AOO. Therefore the wording "start downloading the most recent version"
might be misleading. You mean the most recent version of OOo, but the
user might think, the most recent version in general.

Which version number the user is going to download, is said in the
heading. So the additional information about language and OS is
sufficient here. If many versions of a procuct are provided, the user
expects to get the most recent one when using default settings.

Suggestions
(1) Add "legacy"
  "Click to start downloading the most recent legacy version for Windows
and German."
(2) or skip it totally
"Click to start downloading the legacy version for Windows and German.
(3) or repeat the version string from the heading
"Click to start downloading OpenOffice.org 3.0 for Windows and German."

I have played a little bit around with Opera. It seems, that it
struggles about the variables VERSION, MIRROR, SCHEMA. I assume that
they are global and not present in this staging version. Hopefully Opera
shows the green part too, when the page is produced.

The orange disclaimer has anchor elements without target href. That
produces the hand-cursor in the browser, which indicates, that there is
a hyperlink. But here is no hyperlink and nothing happens, when
clicking. Therefore it it confusing. Please remove the anchor markup.

Kind regards
Regina