incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] new DL test...needs review and comments, and probably correction
Date Thu, 03 May 2012 20:35:23 GMT


On 04/30/2012 08:30 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Kay- I've setup a new script for you to use for
> Openoffice downloads from Apache mirrors- simply
> replace "closer.cgi" with "aoo-closer.cgi" in your
> paths.� Please don't forget this or users could
> be directed to mirrors which have opted out of
> carrying AOO releases.
>
>

OK, Joe -- I just tested this out as well, and all good!

Thanks so much!
>
>
>> ________________________________
>> From: Kay Schenk<kay.schenk@gmail.com>
>> To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
>> Sent: Monday, April 30, 2012 7:43 PM
>> Subject: Re: [RELEASE] new DL test...needs review and comments, and probably correction
>>
>> Regina--
>>
>> Thanks for all this work. Please see comments inline below...
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Regina Henschel<rb.henschel@t-online.de>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> my test results are below, all on German WinXP Home, SP3.
>>>
>>> kind regards
>>> Regina
>>>
>>> Marcus (OOo) schrieb:
>>>
>>> � Am 04/30/2012 11:21 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On 04/30/2012 11:37 AM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Am 04/30/2012 04:53 AM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Kay Schenk<kay.schenk@gmail.com>
>>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> On 04/27/2012 01:46 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> � On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Andrea Pescetti<pescetti@apache.org
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> � Kay Schenk wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> Please take a look at and give feedback on a
test page for the new
>>>>>>>>>>> /download/index.html page at:
>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.openoffice.org/****download/test/index_new_dl.****html<http://www.openoffice.org/**download/test/index_new_dl.**html>
>>>>>>>>>>> <http://www.openoffice.**org/download/test/index_new_**dl.html<http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/index_new_dl.html>
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> Yes, it's a bit strange with lots of nonsense
at the top that I
>>>>>>>>>>> wanted
>>>>>>>>>>> you to see, but will of course go away in production.
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> The page is nice, but it's the concept that leaves
me dubious.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> We have another thread
>>>>>>>>>> http://comments.gmane.org/****gmane.comp.apache.incubator.**<http://comments.gmane.org/**gmane.comp.apache.incubator.**>
>>>>>>>>>> ooo.devel/16219<http://**comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.**
>>>>>>>>>> apache.incubator.ooo.devel/**16219<http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.incubator.ooo.devel/16219>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> where there seems to be consensus towards a solution
that:
>>>>>>>>>> 1) Uses SF (and possibly Apache) for the web-based
downloads
>>>>>>>>>> 2) Does not phase out MirrorBrain, and uses it for
the updates
>>>>>>>>>> (i.e.,
>>>>>>>>>> downloads initiated by OpenOffice with the "Look
for updates"
>>>>>>>>>> function)
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> � That's what I understand as well.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> oh -- OK. I thought we were going to use MirrorBrain for
3.3 DLs as
>>>>>>>> well
>>>>>>>> -- i.e. what Marcus will be working on. I know right now,
we're using
>>>>>>>> SourceForge for that though.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> � The "possibly Apache" in 1) is due to the fact that I
haven't
>>>>>>>>> understood
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> yet
>>>>>>>>>> what technology Apache will be using and if Apache
will distribute
>>>>>>>>>> only
>>>>>>>>>> sources or binaries too (it's obvious that we as
a project will
>>>>>>>>>> release
>>>>>>>>>> sources and binaries, but I'm not 100% sure that
Apache wants to put
>>>>>>>>>> binaries on its mirrors too: I think so).
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> � Well it's not all that complicated actually. Take
a look at the
>>>>>>>> security
>>>>>>>> patch info page...
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> http://www.openoffice.org/****security/cves/CVE-2012-0037.****html<http://www.openoffice.org/**security/cves/CVE-2012-0037.**html>
>>>>>>>> <http://www.openoffice.**org/security/cves/CVE-2012-**0037.html<http://www.openoffice.org/security/cves/CVE-2012-0037.html>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> and you can see what the link looks like.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Actual source/binaries are, for us, put in:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> http://www.apache.org/dist/****incubator/ooo/<http://www.apache.org/dist/**incubator/ooo/>
>>>>>>>> <http://www.**apache.org/dist/incubator/ooo/<http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/ooo/>
>>>>>>>> **>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> This said, you could be right in having issues tracking down
problems.
>>>>>>>> Right now, the SF setup is more "user friendly" in my opinion.
I
>>>>>>>> thought we
>>>>>>>> were *required* to use Apache for downloads, but maybe we've
gotten a
>>>>>>>> dispensation for this release. Though I didn't think is was
100%
>>>>>>>> someplace
>>>>>>>> else. I admit I haven't kept up as much as I should have
though.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> The other issue is how will it LOOK to users -- one moment
they may
>>>>>>>> be one
>>>>>>>> place; if they happen to do a shift-reload, they may go someplace
>>>>>>>> else with
>>>>>>>> an entirely different look and feel.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> � Fact is, we should avoid the random selection as much
as possible,
>>>>>>>>>> mainly to
>>>>>>>>>> be able to quickly identify problems, and you will
see details in
>>>>>>>>>> that
>>>>>>>>>> thread. The cleaner separation we can get, the better.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> � So how about something very simple:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> 1) AOO 3.4 downloads use SourceForge by default from
the
>>>>>>>>> /download/index.html page. Just like they are doing today.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> This WOULD make things a lot simpler.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> � But we also have a links there that point to Apache mirrors
for:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> a) Hashes and detached signatures
>>>>>>>>> b) source distribution
>>>>>>>>> c) a link to the full release tree
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Well, SF will need to implement in their sidebar or the main
page for
>>>>>>>> openoffice.org they have, right?
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Anyway, good conversation.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> � In other words, no rolling the dice, noting fancy. 100%
of normal
>>>>>>>>> users will download from SF.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> 2) When we enable the automated updates, in a week or
two, then we
>>>>>>>>> decide what we want to do. Maybe we do it via SF. Maybe
MirrorBrain.
>>>>>>>>> Maybe a mix,
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> On the other side, release time is approaching and I
can only hope
>>>>>>>>> that
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> talks between Peter Poeml (MirrorBrain author) and
Apache Infra,
>>>>>>>>>> that had
>>>>>>>>>> started on this list, are progressing now.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> � I think it is too late for any of those talks
to influence how we
>>>>>>>>> deal
>>>>>>>>> with AOO 3.4 initial downloads. But maybe the update
downloads in a
>>>>>>>>> couple of weeks.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> -Rob
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Regards,
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Andrea.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> � --
>>>>>>>> ------------------------------****----------------------------**--**
>>>>>>>> ------------
>>>>>>>> MzK
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> "Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
>>>>>>>> And life has a funny way of helping you out
>>>>>>>> Helping you out."
>>>>>>>> -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Ok, I am hoping this will be about the last, final review on
the new
>>>>>>> download/index.html --
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> prototype at:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> http://ooo-site.staging.**apache.org/download/test/**index_new_dl.html<http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/test/index_new_dl.html>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> This assumes SourceForge ONLY, and that the 3.4 pre-built client
packs
>>>>>>> will be in the hiearchy as the 3.3 is -- stable, etc.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Naturally NONE of the links will work until something gets out
there
>>>>>>> and
>>>>>>> there is a TON of alerts which I will of course eventually comment
out.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I've tested the following:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> 1.
>>>>>> Linux with Firefox -->  Linux x86-64 RPM de -->  the text in
the pop-ups
>>>>>> makes sense -->  OK
>>>>>>
>>>>>> 2.
>>>>>> Windows XP with MSIE -->  error -->  the detailed error message
says:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Line: 104
>>>>>> Char: 1
>>>>>> Error: Identifier, string or number expected
>>>>>> Code: 0
>>>>>> URL: http://ooo-site.staging.**apache.org/download/test/**
>>>>>> index_new_dl.html<http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/test/index_new_dl.html>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Line: 286
>>>>>> Char: 2
>>>>>> Error: 'languages' is not defined
>>>>>> Code: 0
>>>>>> URL: http://ooo-site.staging.**apache.org/download/test/**
>>>>>> index_new_dl.html<http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/test/index_new_dl.html>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> -->  finally only a blue box for the extensions
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>> hmmm...well I shouldn't have changed anything that caused this, but
>>>>> definitely NOT good. OK, thanks. What are you showing for your
>>>>> "language" -- i.e. according to your UA string?
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Good that you've asked. I remember that we have this webpage:
>>>>
>>>> http://www.openoffice.org/**download/test/analyze.html<http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/analyze.html>
>>>>
>>>> So, I've updated it a bit and nowI get the following browser data:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> window.location.href http://ooo-site.apache.org/**
>>>> download/test/analyze.html<http://ooo-site.apache.org/download/test/analyze.html>
>>>> navigator.platform Linux x86_64
>>>> navigator.platform.**toLowerCase() linux x86_64
>>>> navigator.userAgent Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:2.0.1)
>>>> Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
>>>> navigator.userAgent.**toLowerCase() mozilla/5.0 (x11; linux x86_64;
>>>> rv:2.0.1) gecko/20100101 firefox/4.0.1
>>>> navigator.language de-DE
>>>> navigator.userLanguage undefined
>>>> navigator.systemLanguage undefined
>>>> navigator.javaEnabled() Yes
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> window.location.href http://www.openoffice.org/**
>>>> download/test/analyze.html<http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/analyze.html>
>>>> navigator.platform Win32
>>>> navigator.platform.**toLowerCase() win32
>>>> navigator.userAgent Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1;
>>>> SV1)
>>>> navigator.userAgent.**toLowerCase() mozilla/4.0 (compatible; msie 6.0;
>>>> windows nt 5.1; sv1)
>>>> navigator.language undefined
>>>> navigator.userLanguage de
>>>> navigator.systemLanguage de
>>>> navigator.javaEnabled() Yes
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> It seems that on Linux the "navigator.language" is set. On Windows this
>>>> is not set but the "navigator.userLanguage" and
>>>> "navigator.systemLanguage". All 3 are handled in "download.js" (or in
>>>> your new "download_new_dl.js").
>>>>
>>>> Maybe it's helpful to output some debug messages around this area?
>>>>
>>>> @All:
>>>> Can others please test on Windows with MSIE and Firefox? I really hope
>>>> it's just my Windows XP (in a Virtualbox VM).
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>> With Opera 11.62
>>> =============================
>>>
>>> Calling http://ooo-site.staging.**apache.org/download/test/**
>>> index_new_dl.html<http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/test/index_new_dl.html>
>>>
>>> The green download box is missing totally.
>>>
>>> Calling http://www.openoffice.org/**download/test/analyze.html<http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/analyze.html>
>>> results in
>>>
>>> navigator.platform: Win32
>>> navigator.UserAgent: Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 5.1; U; de) Presto/2.10.229
>>> Version/11.62
>>> navigator.UserAgent lower case: opera/9.80 (windows nt 5.1; u; de)
>>> presto/2.10.229 version/11.62
>>> navigator.UserAgent lower case: -1
>>> getLink(): undefined
>>> getPlatform(): Windows
>>> getLanguage(): German
>>>
>>>
>>> window.location.href� � http://www.openoffice.org/**
>>> download/test/analyze.html<http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/analyze.html>
>>> navigator.platform� � � Win32
>>> navigator.platform.**toLowerCase()� � � � win32
>>> navigator.userAgent� �  Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 5.1; U; de) Presto/2.10.229
>>> Version/11.62
>>> navigator.userAgent.**toLowerCase()� � �  opera/9.80 (windows nt 5.1; u;
>>> de) presto/2.10.229 version/11.62
>>> navigator.language� � � de
>>> navigator.userLanguage� de
>>> navigator.systemLanguage� � � � undefined
>>> navigator.javaEnabled() Yes
>>>
>>>
>> OK -- well this is NOT good, but what kind of results do you get with Opera
>> for:
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/legacy/
>>
>> same thing or ????
>>
>> Despite the fact that Opera is supposed to be the most W3 compliant
>> browser, I know folks have had issues with it...
>>
>>
>> with Windows Internet Explorer 8
>>> ==============================**==
>>> Calling http://ooo-site.staging.**apache.org/download/test/**
>>> index_new_dl.html<http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/test/index_new_dl.html>
>>>
>>> All looks OK.
>>>
>>> Calling http://www.openoffice.org/**download/test/analyze.html<http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/analyze.html>
>>> results in
>>>
>>> navigator.platform: Win32
>>> navigator.UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1;
>>> Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152;
>>> .NET CLR 3.5.30729; InfoPath.2; BRI/2; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E;
>>> OfficeLiveConnector.1.5; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; Microsoft.com Optimized IE8)
>>> navigator.UserAgent lower case: mozilla/4.0 (compatible; msie 7.0; windows
>>> nt 5.1; trident/4.0; .net clr 2.0.50727; .net clr 1.1.4322; .net clr
>>> 3.0.4506.2152; .net clr 3.5.30729; infopath.2; bri/2; .net4.0c; .net4.0e;
>>> officeliveconnector.1.5; officelivepatch.1.3; microsoft.com optimized ie8)
>>> navigator.UserAgent lower case: -1
>>> getLink(): undefined
>>> getPlatform(): Windows
>>> getLanguage(): German
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> window.location.href� http://www.openoffice.org/**
>>> download/test/analyze.html<http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/analyze.html>
>>> navigator.platform� Win32
>>> navigator.platform.**toLowerCase()� win32
>>> navigator.userAgent� Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1;
>>> Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152;
>>> .NET CLR 3.5.30729; InfoPath.2; BRI/2; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E;
>>> OfficeLiveConnector.1.5; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; Microsoft.com Optimized IE8)
>>> navigator.userAgent.**toLowerCase() mozilla/4.0 (compatible; msie 7.0;
>>> windows nt 5.1; trident/4.0; .net clr 2.0.50727; .net clr 1.1.4322; .net
>>> clr 3.0.4506.2152; .net clr 3.5.30729; infopath.2; bri/2; .net4.0c;
>>> .net4.0e; officeliveconnector.1.5; officelivepatch.1.3; microsoft.comoptimized
ie8)
>>>
>>> navigator.language� undefined
>>> navigator.userLanguage� de
>>> navigator.systemLanguage de
>>> navigator.javaEnabled() Yes
>>>
>>> with Seamonkey 2.9
>>> ==================
>>>
>>> All looks OK.
>>> Calling http://www.openoffice.org/**download/test/analyze.html<http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/analyze.html>
>>> results in
>>>
>>> navigator.platform: Win32
>>> navigator.UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:12.0) Gecko/20120422
>>> Firefox/12.0 SeaMonkey/2.9
>>> navigator.UserAgent lower case: mozilla/5.0 (windows nt 5.1; rv:12.0)
>>> gecko/20120422 firefox/12.0 seamonkey/2.9
>>> navigator.UserAgent lower case: -1
>>> getLink(): undefined
>>> getPlatform(): Windows
>>> getLanguage(): German
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> window.location.href� � http://www.openoffice.org/**
>>> download/test/analyze.html<http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/analyze.html>
>>> navigator.platform� � � Win32
>>> navigator.platform.**toLowerCase()� � � � win32
>>> navigator.userAgent� �  Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:12.0)
>>> Gecko/20120422 Firefox/12.0 SeaMonkey/2.9
>>> navigator.userAgent.**toLowerCase()� � �  mozilla/5.0 (windows nt 5.1;
>>> rv:12.0) gecko/20120422 firefox/12.0 seamonkey/2.9
>>>
>>> navigator.language� � � de-DE
>>> navigator.userLanguage� undefined
>>> navigator.systemLanguage� � � � undefined
>>> navigator.javaEnabled() Yes
>>>
>>>
>> OK, thanks again. I did discover and correct a rather odd bug that was
>> affecting my simulated UA testing. Hopefully I can finish up with this
>> tomorrow if nothing else comes up.
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> MzK
>>
>> "Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
>> And life has a funny way of helping you out
>> Helping you out."
>> � � � � � � � � � � � � � � -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette
>>
>>
>>

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
MzK

"Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
  And life has a funny way of helping you out
  Helping you out."
                             -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

Mime
View raw message