incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 17:27:34 GMT
On 5/2/12 6:04 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 2 May 2012 16:51, Pedro Giffuni<pfg@apache.org>  wrote:

>> I have no idea if it's common for Podlings to have a successful
>> vote in their first attempt but I have to say this result highlights
>> the determination and impecable work done by the group.
>
> +1 (it is not common)

and it was a little bit surprising ;-) But i think we have listened and
have incorporate feedback early and careful. And we will continue to
improve our work here as a healthy project and a vibrant community.

My "special" role as a release manger was only a tiny piece (and nothing
special) of the overall work we as a *community* have achieved with this
first release. I could list many names and I am sure I would forget
some. So I would like to say thank you to all who helped in the last
month to bring our first release on the road.

I will list only some key areas where we have achieved a lot:
- migration of the website, the wiki, the user forum, the extensions and
template repository, bugzilla
- setting up new internal wiki at Apache, new pootle server, new project
web page
- IP cleanup of the code
- setting up build bots
- preparing regular dev snapshots and final RC
- great QA work
- archiving older releases and not yet integrated cws
- establishing a powerful mirror network with new partners
- work on documentation to reflect the new name and latest changes
- ...

The release is only the successful crowning end of a huge huge effort
and a lot of work to migrate everything from Oracle infra-structure to
Apache and partners.

We all know that it was not only the source code that was migrated/moved
but much more and especially the way how we improved over time our
collaboration on different tasks makes me very proud and I am really
looking forward to continue this work with all of you.

We have strong characters in the project with different communication
styles but I think we should always look twice what individuals are
really doing here in the project and for the project before we
adjudicate on somebody.

And about statements like "the major part of the community have moved
to..." can I only laugh out loud. I felt myself always as part of the
OOo community and I never have moved to somewhere else ;-) (sorry I
couldn't resist)

Thanks to all of you

Juergen