incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [RELEASE]: proposed directory structure on dist
Date Tue, 01 May 2012 22:23:17 GMT
Am 05/01/2012 11:09 PM, schrieb Juergen Schmidt:
> On Tuesday, 1. May 2012 at 22:11, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

DLs --

name>

>>> I am currently also confused. I would still prefer my proposed structure
>>> in the beginning of this thread if it is possible.
>>>
>>> That would allow us to easy add further platforms and keep the bits a
>>> little bit separated. Think about 100 languages and 5 files (including
>>> the checksum files) for each downloadable file.
>>>

>> Maybe it will look more clean but thats not important. Normally the
>> average user should not be pointed to a mirror to find her/his favorite
>> file. For this we have the user-friendly and one-click-download webpages.
>>
>> For the former OOo release the structure was very good and also scalable
>> for new releases and languages. And it is much easier to upload
>> everything into a flat structure.
>>

> I can't really see a flat structure in the old directory tree. One directory for each
language etc.

OK, maybe it was not the right wording and my thinking not correct.

So, your idea is the following:

<root path>/ooo/<version>/source/...

It seems there is not other ASF project with releases for specific
platforms *and* languages (otherwise please point me to the project), so
maybe we can stick with this and divide only into platform-specifc
directories.

Maybe we can agree on the following structure for a AOO 3.5 release?

<root path>/dist/incubator/ooo/<version>/src/...

If necessary we can provide additional files as subdirs inside the
<version>/ directory (e.g., documentation in "docs/", hotfixes in
"patches/", etc.).

And new releases as Beta or RC can be uploaded into a new and own
<version>/ subdirectory.

BTW:
The checksum files are created for every file and checksum format
separately, right? Do we have to store them together with the respective
files? Or is it allowed to store them in a separate directory?

>> To have every version, platform and
>> language in its own directory is much more complicated to handle in the
>> DL scripts.
>>

> My proposed structure used the version as start directory  and than only split the platforms
and the language packs but that can be dropped if it makes things easier. Then we would have
a very flat structure.

I would prefer to have them together with the full builds.

> I really don't see here a technical problem to put the already collected items (platform,
lang, version, mirror...) in the right order to prepare a download url.

There is indeed no technical problem. It's only a problem to get there
in time. ;-)

> But anyway we will keep the old structure for now

Thanks again. :-)

Marcus