incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RELEASE]: proposed directory structure on dist
Date Tue, 01 May 2012 21:16:11 GMT

On 05/01/2012 01:58 PM, Juergen Schmidt wrote:
> On Tuesday, 1. May 2012 at 22:10, Kay Schenk wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 11:23 AM, Jürgen Schmidt
>> <jogischmidt@googlemail.com>wrote:

DLs --

AOO

>>> I am currently also confused. I would still prefer my proposed structure
>>> in the beginning of this thread if it is possible.
>>>

>> Your very first suggestion would entail *really* major changes right now,
>> so this is the LEAST of my favorite!
>>

>>> That would allow us to easy add further platforms and keep the bits a
>>> little bit separated. Think about 100 languages and 5 files (including the
>>> checksum files) for each downloadable file.
>>>
>>> And it will work for future releases as well.
>>>
>>> I have agreed to use the same structure as for 3.3 but I also have said
>>> that I skip the version in the localized folder because we already have it
>>> in the path. No direct feedback on this and I took it as common consensus.
>>>

>> OK, I don't understand this last bit.
> Well I gave a very clear example how I planned to organize the bits on dist based on
a structure that came from Marcus . And this was slightly different than the former structure
but closer to my proposal. And no clear veto or response so I took it as accepted.

>> Please again take a look at to the current setup on SourceForge:
>>
>> <DL url>/files/localized/<language-code>/3.4.0/<packages>
>>
>> It would simplify our rollout if we could just stick with the current
>> structure on SourceForge. We will be using that as our primary DL mirror
>> for clients.
>>

> We will do that but in general the dist folder should be our reference for all mirrors.

hmmm...OK, I see what you're saying...someone is coordinating this with
SourceForge I take it? Or...what needs to be done?

A thousand THANK YOUs for leaving things as they are!

>> Marcus's alternate suggestion of :
>>
>> <root-path>/files/3.4.0/...
>> <root-path>/files/3.4.1/...
>> <root-path>/files/3.5.0/...
>>
>> seems like a good option to me as well, and you responded to this. But, the
>> least amount of change -- i.e. keeping the structure we have -- is really
>> the best at this point in terms of getting something done in a reasonable
>> time. Maybe we could discuss alternatives for *after* 3.4 in the future? We
>> are planning on a retool of the DL script after this, and incorporating
>> easier ways to deal with changes like this are high on the priority list.
>>
>> Right now, we are planning on using SF for the majority of downloads --
>> typical clients -- and that structure -- good or bad -- is already in
>> place, and the test DL script is working based on this.
>>

> taken and we will keep the old structure
>>
>> We will probably only use the Apache "dist" system for source.
>> So, in terms of how you setup things there I don't really care, but, of
>> course, we need information about that.
>>
> well we should care about it, the dist folder is the place where releases are provided
and where the release manager have to upload the bits.
> And I would have preferred to have a clean structure from the beginning.
>
> For me the future and future releases are more important than older versions. But it
is of course good to have the older versions available.

>> As silly as this probably seems to you, could we PLEASE just stick with the
>> current structure for now?
>>
> Yes, we will go with the old structure for now

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I will start a new thread on the SourceForge, Apache "dist" business
though there may already be an awareness here.

> Juergen
>>

>>> But now I am confused. We should clarify the structure before I will start
>>> the upload tomorrow.
>>>
>>> I haven't looked in the details behind the download scripts and don't know
>>> how much work it is to adapt them to a new directory structure. That means
>>> I will use the structure that will work for now.
>>>
>>> Juergen

>> --
>> MzK
>>
>> "Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
>> And life has a funny way of helping you out
>> Helping you out."
>> -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

MzK

 Helping you out."