incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [RELEASE]: proposed directory structure on dist
Date Tue, 01 May 2012 21:13:16 GMT
Am 05/01/2012 10:27 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.mail@wtnet.de>  wrote:

DLs --

name>

>>> I am currently also confused. I would still prefer my proposed structure
>>> in the beginning of this thread if it is possible.
>>>
>>> That would allow us to easy add further platforms and keep the bits a
>>> little bit separated. Think about 100 languages and 5 files (including
>>> the checksum files) for each downloadable file.
>>

>> Maybe it will look more clean but thats not important. Normally the average
>> user should not be pointed to a mirror to find her/his favorite file. For
>> this we have the user-friendly and one-click-download webpages.
>>
>> For the former OOo release the structure was very good and also scalable for
>> new releases and languages. And it is much easier to upload everything into
>> a flat structure. To have every version, platform and language in its own
>> directory is much more complicated to handle in the DL scripts.
>>

> One difference between how did it before now:  On the Apache mirrors
> will only keep the most recent release.  We don't keep the complete
> history of previous releases, not even the history of Apache releases.

That's how it worked (more or less) also in the old OOo project. There
we had for every language and platform the most recent version and the
older were moved to the archive.

>    (Those go to archive.apache.org).  So when we do a new release, we
> need to remove the old one from the Apache servers.  So have versions

Thats fine.

> as directory roots, instead of languages as roots, makes this a lot
> easier.

Also this is fine. We can take this into account when we rework the DL
logic to support a different directory structure.

> Of course a script can do anything.

Of course, so please, no killer argumentS. ;-)

Marcus