incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [RELEASE]: proposed directory structure on dist
Date Tue, 01 May 2012 18:23:44 GMT
On 4/30/12 11:16 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On 04/30/2012 12:47 PM, Roberto Galoppini wrote:

name>

>>> Honestly spoken, I don't know if this will work.
>>>
>>> Of course it could be easy and fast to think about a directory structure
>>> that will work also for a AOO 5.0 release.
>>>
>>> However, I doubt that we will have the time to make the DL logic work this
>>> way, too.
>>>
>>> As I've no idea how close we are from the first public download of AOO 3.4 I
>>> wouldn't do bigger changes now.

>>> The DL logic for 3.4.1 can be the same as for 3.4.0. There shouldn't be big
>>> changes. For further releases see above.
>>>
>>> Juergen is already OK to setup the structure like it was in the old project,
>>> so that the need changes to the DL logic is minimal.
>>
>> It seems the easiest way to go to me too.
>>
>> Roberto
>
> OK, I need some clarification here -- again.
>
> I am to understand by the above statements by Marcus and Roberto that
> the directory structure for 3.4 will be the same as it is for 3.3, but....
>

> we will have a *different* structure on www.apache.org/dist? Also, OK,
> we just need some awareness.
>
> So -- can someone tell me what's what here.

I am currently also confused. I would still prefer my proposed structure
in the beginning of this thread if it is possible.

That would allow us to easy add further platforms and keep the bits a
little bit separated. Think about 100 languages and 5 files (including
the checksum files) for each downloadable file.

And it will work for future releases as well.

I have agreed to use the same structure as for 3.3 but I also have said
that I skip the version in the localized folder because we already have
it in the path. No direct feedback on this and I took it as common
consensus.

But now I am confused. We should clarify the structure before I will
start the upload tomorrow.

I haven't looked in the details behind the download scripts and don't
know how much work it is to adapt them to a new directory structure.
That means I will use the structure that will work for now.

Juergen

> I CAN change the friendly scripts to go with the NEW (Apache) structure.
> In fact I'm going to work on THAT approach today (along with Rob's
> changes) and hopefully we'll be set for either instance.
>

>>> To setup a new structure that makes maybe more sense can be done later for a
>>> release after 3.4.x.
>>

>>> my 2 ct
>>>
>>> Marcus
>> ====
>> This e- mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It may contain
confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s)
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify
the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) from your
system. Thank you.