incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Washington DC Apahe Barcamp
Date Mon, 21 May 2012 02:36:38 GMT

On 2012-05-18, at 22:35 , drew wrote:

> Though your remarks mention wordperfect format files and isn't that kind
> of an issue with AOO?

Yes. Which is why, I suppose, the company Propylon came into being: b/c Sun didn't see fit
to address this essentially niche market. Of course, the "niche market" here is big, like
virtually all of Anglo-American jurisprudence, and probably also a lot of Napoleonic Code
entities, too. Not all, of course, now use WP; most probably use MSOffice or other idiosyncratic
software.

However, the point is that ODF and AOO can be made to produce templates that satisfy the current
needs of legal court filings. I believe that has been done. But the issue of mimicking WP's
UI is the important one. My guess is that all things considered, if the application AOO can
read WP files and produce files using legal templates, the UI issues will be moot, especially
if the hidebound users continue using what their license dollars paid for, while the more
flexible legals use free software that can, nevertheless, interoperate with the existing.

But I don't know the full state of the matter. Ripe discussion for the bar camp?

Louis