incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [WWW] What to do with OOo related domains?
Date Sat, 26 May 2012 01:37:46 GMT

On 2012-05-25, at 20:34 , Albino Biasutti Neto wrote:

> Hi.
>
> 2012/5/25 Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com>
>

>> On 2012-05-23, at 12:21 , Andrew Rist wrote:
>>
>>> As part of the transfer of the web properties of OOo to the ASF, the set
>> of related domains has also been offered to ASF.
>>> We (PPMC) need to decide what we want to do with the related domains.
>> There are three obvious options available to us:
>>>
>>> * Ignore and let the domains expire
>>> * Continue to register to block squatting, but do no more
>>> * Continue to register and forward to oo.o
>>

>> As I have mentioned more than once, I seem to own openoffice.ca and would
>> be willing to contribute it (or whatever one does) to AOO. In general,
>> historically we have approached the owners of such sites and asked them to
>> work with the community.
>>

> +1
>
> The better option.
>
> There are many alternatives. I don't like very much and confuse me.

Likewise. I prefer very simple and when possible friendly solutions. Only if the rose of friendship
is crushed should we show our thorns. But in general what I would rather have is that for
all similar to AOO domains a) pointing to AOO proper, and if needed, the NL projects, and
b) hosting, as mirrors, code, binaries, documents, if that is desired.

There is a third point. One reason I tacitly enabled and even silently promoted the development
of these satellites was to promote the global ecosystems that implicitly support OO by providing
support, etc. Thus, I'd be in favour of proposing a model where a domain that reflects "openoffice"
and is used in behalf of the wider community, be promoted. The only things to stipulate would
be, I imagine, that any binaries or code offered as representing or identical to AOO *be*
such; and that any representations of or on behalf of AOO be in keeping with Apache's ethos.
That said, should it be the case then, that there is no need for such satellites and that
they only serve to confuse, then, of course, we simply say, no—to this proposal, to the
satellites, unless there is a good reason for them.

But I think as long as the freedom described above is not confusing and does not lead to deception,
that it will only actually help the expansion of the communities.

We do need robust ecosystems.

Louis