incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HELP NEEDED: CERTIFICATION TO PARTICIPATE IN A TENDER
Date Sun, 20 May 2012 22:19:46 GMT
Dear Ms Cubilla,

Thanks for contacting us. As someone who has long championed the use of OpenOffice in education,
and specifically on netbooks and other portable and mobile devices, I'm delighted to learn
of your tender. You probably know this, and if you do, my apologies, Apache OpenOffice is
free to use and distribute as you will and is licensed under the Apache License v.2.

I have not tried Apache OpenOffice 3.4 on the Acer Travelmate. My guess is that it works fine.
However, issuing a statement to that effect, as a "System Builder," may pose some logistical
problems, as we are an open source project composed of numerous groups operating within the
Apache Software Foundation.

But your request is important. I'd like therefore to see if this solution works for you and
the government: A request to test Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (for Linux, Windows 7, 8) be filed.
As we are not a company as such, at least not in the ways that Microsoft is, actually obtaining
the Acer netbooks for the testing could be a problem. Further, there is no saying when the
test on the Acer machines would be done, as it would depend upon the availability of resources.
We do not profit from Acer's use of AOO, from your distribution or any company's, at least
not directly.

Do you have any we can test? Are you perhaps in contact with Acer and able to connect us to
that company, so that they can test the application on any of their devices? (Joining the
project is not hard; we would welcome your participation and also that of Acer.)

Alternatively, perhaps you or your colleagues might find it actually fastest to install AOO
3.4 (in Spanish) on the machines?

The government may not approve of such a manoeuvre, as you are not the System Builder. But
by joining Apache and participating, even in a modest way, say by describing what your company
is doing and planning, you can effectively become part of the community building the application.

These are the possibilities that may help you at this stage. I would suggest you write to
us soonest with more ideas on how you wish to proceed.

Again, your efforts are laudable and praiseworthy. But you are not alone. Portugal has gone
through something similar—I can put you in touch with the principal agents there—as has
Brazil. And there are other countries in Europe whose sub-national governments have also considered
or are deploying OpenOffice on education-ready netbooks. (Norway has used Intel education
netbooks, for instance.)

Finally, you wrote to a very public list. You can find archives publicly available via the
usual search engines. Your message has no particularly personal content, so rest assured.
But do expect that my colleagues will likely also respond—indeed, I see that Alexandro has
already done that.

By the way, I am curious if your company would also be providing the education offices support?

Regards,

Louis Suárez-Potts
Apache OpenOffice PPMC

PS, Lo escribió en inglés por que es la convención por estas listas abiertas.

On 2012-05-18, at 17:50 , Veronica Cubilla wrote:

> Who may concern:
>
> Regards from Panama!!
>
> This is Veronica Cubilla from Cubix Panama (www.cubixlat.com ) an International Wholesaler
who participated with a VAR in a tender of 17,800 laptops with Education Minister in Panama
that will be used by teachers.   One of the requirements of this tender was to include in
the proposal Open Office.

> The laptop we proposed was the Acer Travelmate P243 which have 320GB of HDD.  What we
need for you is a Certification Letter for Acer  as a System Builder who can replicate your
software in this laptop, using Apache Open Office 3.4.

> If you need any other information about this tender you can see it in:http://www.panamacompra.gob.pa/ambientepublico/VistaPreviaCP.aspx?NumLc=2012-0-07-0-08-AV-008941&esap=1&nnc=1&it=1,
where you can also find Microsoft letter certificating the usage of Win 7 Pro (which is attached).