incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL]: Apache OpenOffice Next-Gen logo...
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 05:14:51 GMT

On May 8, 2012, at 9:34 PM, Juergen Schmidt wrote:

> On Wednesday, 9. May 2012 at 04:52, Michael Acevedo wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have decided to move forward and give you an early preview of how I think
>> we should move for the logo of Apache OpenOffice 4 which I think is the
>> general consensus of the next major release of our project pending Apache
>> approval. The logos I am proposing are basically the same but there are a
>> few modifications to the current logo. Below is a description:
>>
>> AOO Next Logo Changes:
>>
>> - The AOO Next logo has a smaller spacing between the letters and
>> changes the word "Apache" to "APACHE" in caps (idea taken from Kevin
>> Gringon's proposal in the Wiki).
>> - The color of the "APACHE" word is now gray (idea taken from Kevin
>> Gringon's Proposal in the Wiki).
>> - Integration of the "AOO" initials (for one of the logo proposals).
>> - Retirement of the Orb logo and substituting it with a refined concept
>> of the previous OOo logo prior verson 3.2.1. I did this new icon in a
>> conservative manner and I think it will fit best the next release of AOO as
>> it will match with the post AOO 3.4 Application (Writer, Impress, Calc,
>> etc.) icons. The new logo makes a nod to the post-PC era when it comes to
>> how an application icon now looks in our devices.
>> - Keep some commonality with the current Orb Centric logo by keeping the
>> name of the suite with the current font that is being used for our site's
>> logo.
>>
>> Without further waiting, I present to you my logo proposal for AOO 4.
>> Please follow this link:
>> https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=69f0fbe8e03b2c13&resid=69F0FBE8E03B2C13!1631&parid=root
>>
>> Hope you like it and suggestions are welcomed. I would like to credit Kevin
>> Gringon for the changes in terms of font spacing in the word "OpenOffice"
>> and the "APACHE" word capitalization suggestions.
>>

> You asked if we like it, I don't like it. It looks old fashioned to me and both elements
don't fit together. But I am no designer.
> We should really search for something new and fresh if we want to change it.
> A d that is from my pov not the old s-curve logo.

It is like the different document icons and therefore not forward looking.

It is good to have alternatives offered.

Graphic design is a difficult process. Some type of marketing / what it is it all about process
would help inform the design.

One such direction is to have a fresh, new vision.

For 3.4 we did bring back these old icons. People do like the aesthetic, but then others don't.

If continuity with the old logos is desried then these are good alternatives. If not then
something different would be better.

Sorry for the mixed thoughts, but that's what is really happening. There are some decisions
to make that may not be lazy.

Regards,
Dave