incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice on eBay
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 19:40:22 GMT

On 2012-05-18, at 14:18 , Chery wrote:

> It is free!          Who would buy it from you?

OpenOffice has always been sold on eBay and other similar sites. The advantage to the buyer
is that she does not have to download the app., can have it around for future reference, may
distribute it to those who otherwise cannot get it (yes, she could burn more and I hope she
would), and so on. As well, quite often CDROMs and DVDs contain so-called value-adds. Could
be set of (free) extensions or it could be templates, utilities, etc. It actually makes a
difference in the minds of many, too, to see the physical object. This is especially so at
conferences, where you want handouts, and elsewhere you just want people to try it out *now*.

And, lest we not forget the nature of our own circumstances, it actually costs *more* to download
a large binary such as AOO than to buy a CDROM containing it (in your language, no less)!
Yep: in many if not most parts of the world, bandwidth is costly and charged by the minute
or byte or both.

The real point of "free" is the user's ability to work unencumbered with the binaries and
source: to become not just another commodity but a producer in a community.

-louis