incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Lauder>
Subject Re: LinuxTag 2012 Berlin
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 13:10:10 GMT
> Hi,

Hi Juergen,

Please excuse if this seems a little abrupt, but I want to the message to be

> last week I gave a talk about OpenOffice on the LinuxTag conference in
> Berlin.
> The attendance was moderate and I got the bad first slot in the morning
> 10:00am after the LinuxTag party on Thursday ;-) It was an interesting
> interruption of my vacation.
> My main goal was to express that OpenOffice was never dead and the
> project have found a new home at Apache. I highlighted our achievements
> and of course our release as important milestone. Presenting our nice
> download numbers was also a pleasure for me ;-)

We should stop apologising for being who we are.
We should not use any speaking opportunity allowed us to talk about / put down
/  argue about LO.

We do not need to mention the rumours of the project's demise, our actions
give lie to that, mentioning it merely gives the rumour recognition that it
does not deserve.

We have had a release!  Even to the most nontechy folk that is proof of life.
Let's not mention it ever again.

> I also expressed my view that
> = Apache OpenOffice
> go-oo = LibreOffice
> based on the facts that we own all rights on the name and the domains,
> the source code. And we have reserved and migrated the whole infra
> structure... And on you can see the relation to LibreOffice.
> And that not the complete community have moved to LibreOffice.
> But I have pointed out that it is my personal view ;-)
> I also pointed out that we don't want to compete with LibreOffice (also
> my personal opinion) and that our main focus and goal is to provide a
> good, stable, high quality, free and intuitive office application.
> A further point was that I tried to express that our users will decide
> in the future which office they will prefer and that we will focus on
> our users and their real demand.
> Based on the discussion after my talk it is clear that many people don't
> understand the split anymore and would appreciate if both projects would
> work together. But that is a political question that can't be answered
> easily. I think with the Apache license we provide a possible basement
> but the license question is much more complicate for some people.

The main reason that the post discussion revolved around the LO/AOO
relationship is because it sounds like that was what your talk was about.

If asked then the answer short and to the point: "We have different licenses
and we wish them well!"    That's it... no more.  We should not be discussing
the detail.  If people need to know, both licenses are published and discussed
on a million places on the web.  People can research it there.

We have different names now, neither project is the original, Sun is gone!  LO
is no more a SUSE project than AOO is an IBM project.  Both projects have
corporate members.  That's all.

We need to move the conversation away from this nonproductive discussion.

People need to know:

The AOO community is growing and highly active
We have had our first release
Yes our downloads are lower than historical but we did that with virtually
zero publicity
We are very close to graduation to being an Apache Top Level Project
We now have Symphony code moved over
We will probably have a couple more incremental releases before 4.0

We have sourceforge onside and other distribution channels are being looked

4.0 will be killer!

Those are the messages we need to go out.

We do not define this project by LO.  We can be a little grateful to LO for
keeping OOo and ODF out there in the public eye and maintaining our brand
recognition, but that does not extend to allowing their brand to intrude into
our conversation.

No more please.  We need to be on message

View raw message