incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Marcelo Santana <>
Subject Re: Debian repository for AOO
Date Tue, 29 May 2012 16:14:17 GMT
On Tue, 29 May 2012 09:26:53 -0400, Christopher Tsai <>

> Hello,

Hello Chistopher,

> I run support for SourceForge, and one of my colleagues (Roberto)
> passed on this message to me. Perhaps I can shed some light on this.
> It looks like the previous attempt to host a Debian repo on our
> site[1] was using the "Project Web" hosting space on our site,
> however, that space is designed to be used only for web site content,
> not downloads. That rationale, coupled with past abuse on that space
> led to us implementing the bandwidth limits.
> [1]

Yes, I had configured the web space as a Debian repository. When I
saw the warning about temporary lock because of bandwidth limitation I
stopped my tests and deleted all the files. My sincere apologies for
the inconvenience.
> The File Release System[2] on the other hand, does not have said
> bandwidth limits, and while I haven't done this myself, I've heard
> from several users that they've had no problems setting up a Debian
> repos in this space. They said that all they did was set up the repo
> locally, then used rsync[3] to upload it to the File Release System.
> Doing it this way also gives the added benefit of utilizing both our
> worldwide mirror system, as well as our file statistics systems.
> [2]
> [3]
> Let me know if this helps!

I've tried to set up the repository by the File Release System today
but it isn't good for use as a Debian repository, because doesn't permit
direct downloads but just via mirrors system.

Is there another alternative to do this on

We need a hosting with good bandwidth that provide direct access to
download of archives from repository. Thus we can just add a new entry
in /etc/apt/sources.list and run "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get
install openoffice.org3-writer..." on any i386 or amd64 Debian machine
or derivative.

I hope this help to understand our needs.

Marcelo G. Santana(aka msantana)  | GNU/Linux User number: #208778 | GNU Privacy Guard ID: 89C55467 | |

View raw message