incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: [Comment] Apache software is always free
Date Tue, 22 May 2012 05:41:42 GMT
On Mon, 21 May 2012 21:37:54 -0400
Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> Since this question is coming up much much more now that we have AOO, I
> figured we need an official URL and resource to point to when people ask.
>
>    http://www.apache.org/free
>
> Any glaring errors?  Anything I should add, or express more clearly?
>
> The immediate driver for this as a memorable URL is the AOO podling,
> since you clearly have the greatest need (with the huge non-technical
> user base).  Is there anything in particular we should consider adding
> to address AOO or OOo users specifically?
>
> - Shane

The Project list might benefit from a few explanatory words attached to each Project name,
as these names can be rather esoteric; remember we are not preaching to the converted who
know Apache software is free, but to a puzzled stranger.

As this request for review is posted on an OpenOffice list, I remark that the presence of
OpenOffice is not readily apparent.  I have not statistics before me of uptake of all Apache
projects, but I would expect that OpenOffice (although Incubating) is or shortly will be among
the front runners and deserves a presence.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>