incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Linux install issues
Date Sat, 19 May 2012 18:39:23 GMT
On Sat, 19 May 2012 10:00:39 -0700
Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all--
>
> It seems we are running into a number of very difficult problems with Linux
> installs, the latest just e-mailed to this list this morning, due to the
> way some vendors have installed LO.
>
> see:
>
> http://markmail.org/message/qz72ouzjvcm7uyfn
>

> I'd really like to provide additional help in the install guide:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/common/instructions.html
>
> but I'm at a loss as to what this should say.
>
> I took a look at SOME of the postings on the support forums and well, still
> at a loss. Generally, it seems that completely uninstall the old OOo 3.3 is
> a given (please correct me if I'm wrong about this), but how to handle some
> of the LO overlap?
>
> Can we get some opinions on what's the most accurate way to go about
> installing AOO 3.4 on linux?
>
> * completely de-install LO first? install AOO 3.4, the re-install LO?
> * completely de-install old OOo 3.3? and then?
>
> Thankfully, I did not run into these kinds of issues with my distro.
>
> --
> MzK
>
> "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
>                                  -- Mark Twain

Kay

My experience with OOo 2.3- AOO 3.4 on Ubuntu distros from 8.04 forward was that it was always
best to remove the distro version of OOo before installing the Oracle OOo.  I used do this
by using the package manager Synaptic to remove openoffice.org-core, which took the other
packages (Writer, Calc etc) with it.  In more recent Ubuntus OOo was replaced by LibO, and
I removed that in a similar fashion (libreoffice.org-core).  After such removals I never had
ant difficulty installing the Oracle/Apache OpenOffice versions.

It may not have been strictly necessary to remove an earlier version so completely, but after
having installation difficulties in my early days I now do this as a matter of course on the
seven machines under my control.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>