incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache OpenOffice RPMS
Date Sat, 19 May 2012 19:23:09 GMT
Hi Nelson,

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 05:32:13PM +0100, Nelson Marques wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I've done beta upgrade to RHEL 6.3 yesterday and runned against a
> problem, openoffice (one of the reasons why I subscribed RHEL) was
> replaced by LibreOffice. I've picked up the archive with Apache
> OpenOffice RPMS and set up a local repository to install Apache
> OpenOffice. I've found a few problems:
>
>  1) Vendor distributed LibreOffice has Epoch defined (1:), uncool
> stuff (Red Hat should know to do better than this). This literally
> creates a nightmare for less experienced users who want to install
> Apache OpenOffice since a few components will always be replaced by
> LibreOffice (ex: openoffice,org-ure) RPMs. The only way to override
> this is to explicitly blacklist libreoffice in yum.conf (exclude:
> libreoffice*).

This is a known issue since OpenOffice.org: you had to blacklist the
distro version otherwise the URE package from the distro uninstalled
upstream OOo. Now the same thing happends with LO.

> I would suggest that Apache OpenOffice would distribute AAO RPMS with
> Epoch defined to an absurd number... pretty much what Sun/Oracle do
> with Java JDK which uses an epoch of 2000. This would most likely
> obliterate bad practices from vendors which use Epoch.

Not sure if this can be done without hacking EPM (the build environment
does not use directly SPECs [expect for the desktop integration
packages], but a program that generates the SPECs files).

> According to a previous talk with someone who knows, once Epoch is
> introduced in a package on Red Hat, it remains there till the end of
> days... this to say... Unless you guys introduce some changes on
> packaging the RPMs, vendors like Red Hat created an unholy mess for
> their users who don't want to use LibreOffice.
>

> Extra Questions:
>
>  1) Is there a tarbal with pre-build binaries ? I would like to
> repackage AOO to a more clean stuff for my personal usage (not
> thinking on rebuilding it, though if it becomes necessary, not a
> problem either).

This can be generated by configuring with package format "installed":
--with-package-format="installed rpm deb"
but we have space problem to add even another package.

You can try rpm2cpio:

cd RPMS
for i in *.rpm; do rpm2cpio $i | cpio -idv; done

>  2) If 1) is possible, then I would like to create a few packages
> localized for European Portuguese including post-treaty dictionaries
> and pre-treaty (the ones I use) dictionaries.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina