incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Lauder <g.a.lau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] IBM SGA/CCLA Submitted for Symphony Source Code Contribution
Date Sat, 19 May 2012 03:01:53 GMT
> The Male Merge interface is implemented in Java. So it is not part of
> the contribution.

OK so neither MDI or Mail merge is available.  Does that mean that none of the
GUI elements are part of the contribution.  The question then bears asking
what is in the contribution that we didn't have before that would be obvious
to this poor simple enduser.  It seems to me that it is less.  It doesn't work
with OOo extensions, there is no draw component.  We have been told that those
GUI elements of Symphony are what won it awards.  And these awards are one of
the reasons we should be happy because those elements can go into AOO, but now
we are told this is not the case.  I'm a tad confused.

> In this code base, the mail merge function was
> updated with OO.o 3.x code.

This maybe so, but it is still a very bad User Experience example.  In my
corporate training it is the single biggest barrier to change in Marketing and
Event Management departments.  In the advertising and publishing space it is
the biggest single barrier amongst sales departments.

The Symphony Mail Merge is intuitive, quick to learn and doesn't require
addressing data sources before getting started.

One of the difficulties that OOo suffers from is that it costs nothing.  So
the change back to MSO does not necessitate the abandoning of any investment.
The high cost of MSO is actually a barrier to uptake of OOo because businesses
are reluctant to abandon any previous investment in MSO to make the change.

What this means is that AOO has to be as good and/or better at everything it
does, than the opposition or at least in those particular functionalities that
individual businesses or departments use.

This is because if there is an issue, there is no incentive to open a bugzilla
instance when the lowest cost solution is simply to go back to MSO.

I thought that getting the Symphony code on board was going to help with this,
but it appears not.

If I have misinterpreted this please feel free to correct this

Cheers
GL