incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: [UX] The Save Process continued
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 14:18:04 GMT
On Fri, 18 May 2012 16:11:51 +0200
RGB ES <rgb.mldc@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/5/18 Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>:
> > On Fri, 18 May 2012 06:26:33 +0100
> > Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
> >
> >> One aspect of the User Experience which frequently manifests itself for Users
is a bad file save, leading to a corrupt file, which is partially or totally irrecoverable

> > Sorry!  My previous posting got away before I had completed it.
> >
> > In my programming days (some 25-30 years ago) it was de rigeur that the original
file was never over-written until the new file had been completely saved, so that if there
was a crash (app, OS, or power failure) the original file existed, perhaps as a .bak file,
but there, untouched.  This does not happen in OpenOffice (all forks as far as I know). Some
thought needs to be given to this and to the defaults of the backup ("always create backup"
to be on by default).

> > Many of the instances of corrupt files are caused by User error (too quick shutdown
before write buffers are flushed?); a part of the User Experience is to ensure against the
stupidity of Users.

> +1
>
> There is also a second, less harmful, problem with the save file
> work-flow: it is quite easy to accidentally uncheck the "add file
> extension" on the save dialogue so every now and then we get on the
> forums windows users that do not know how to open a file because when
> they double click on it the OS do not recognize it. Maybe we need to
> eliminate that option and always save with the correct file extension?

Yes, Ricardo, I agree.  That option should bbe the default and the switch to turn it off should
be well hidden (but available to those who really need it).  On the Forum we often get Users
complaining that the OS cannot identify their file; diagnosis is almost always that the file
has no extension (Windows is stupid about identifying file applications if no extension!).

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>