incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: [UX] The Save Process continued
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 05:39:01 GMT
On Fri, 18 May 2012 06:26:33 +0100
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:

> One aspect of the User Experience which frequently manifests itself for Users is a bad
file save, leading to a corrupt file, which is partially or totally irrecoverable

Sorry!  My previous posting got away before I had completed it.

In my programming days (some 25-30 years ago) it was de rigeur that the original file was
never over-written until the new file had been completely saved, so that if there was a crash
(app, OS, or power failure) the original file existed, perhaps as a .bak file, but there,
untouched.  This does not happen in OpenOffice (all forks as far as I know). Some thought
needs to be given to this and to the defaults of the backup ("always create backup" to be
on by default).

Many of the instances of corrupt files are caused by User error (too quick shutdown before
write buffers are flushed?); a part of the User Experience is to ensure against the stupidity
of Users.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>