incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: HELP NEEDED
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 13:34:01 GMT
On Mon, 14 May 2012 11:35:37 +0200 (CEST)
"koda.m@libero.it" <koda.m@libero.it> wrote:

> Hello, I'm sorry if I'm writing to the wrong email adres but i can't find the support
email adress. i need help! i saved last night an odt file 28 apges long terribly important
to me and now when i tried to open it it asks about the ASCII FILTER wich i have no idea what
it is. how can a solve this problem? seraching in the net i found no solution... please help
me or at least tell me what email adress i should write to.thank youmarco datola

As OpenOffice is distributed at no cost, there is no formal support service, other than the
goodwil of Users who give of their time in supporting it, eith on a mailing list such as this,
or on the User Forum
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum

Tha ASCII filter message means that OpenOffice canot understand your file.  This is _bad_
news.  In OpenOffice, go to /Tools /Options/ Openoffice.org : Paths and write down the path
listed there for temporary files. Now exit OpenOffice.  Go to the location listed and see
if there are any files there with arbitrary names (example:xryt.bak or sqfge.tmp) and approximately
the correct date.  Copy these to another directory and rename them to type .odt, then see
if they will open with OpenOffice.  If not, forget about them. Copy your damaged file to another
file called Filename.zip.  See if that will open with WinZip or 7zip.  If it does, copy out
content.xml; this will contain your data, but you will have to edit it heavily to get it reformated
to your desire.  If you are not computer savvy, get someone who is to help you.

Why did this happen?  Were you working to a USB stick?  If so, you may not have observed the
correct procedure to remove a USB device.  If you were working to the hard disk, you may have
closed down the computer too quickly, before the disk buffers flushed, and the file may be
only partially written.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>