incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Heads up][code] Apache Lucene updated to version 2.9.4
Date Sat, 12 May 2012 21:10:31 GMT
Hi Pedro,

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 01:24:01PM -0500, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Hello;
>
> Revision 1337602 updates Apache Lucene to version 2.9.4. It's the
> last update for Apache based packages that I have planned. It
> also brings in a patch so that more modern versions can be used
> as external libraries.
>
> The change is rather big and I have a lot of unrelated patches in
> my build so I may have accidentally left something in/out. Please
> do report build issues and be patient :).
>
> The change works well on UNIX, but it also involved getting rid
> of a hack (long_path.patch) in Lucene that we carried for
> Windows. I am unsure if the change is still necessary so testing
> the help on Windows is encouraged.

IMO when updating external dependencies, the tests should not only include
the fact that it can be built on all the platforms we support, but
mainly regressions tests that test if the functionality of the code that
dependes on these external dependencies is still working.

The steps would be:

1. make sure it builds
2. identify the code that depends on the dependency
3. test that the functionality still works.

This is valid also for the apache commons update you did recently.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina