incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [WWW] Common layout and content for NL sites (was: Some issues translating download/index.html)
Date Fri, 11 May 2012 11:25:58 GMT

Hi David,

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 01:50:59PM -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:
> > It has been discussed on the list several times before the idea of
> > having a common set of pages in all NL sites, but the discussion
> > didn't have a conclusion. Now that AOO 3.4 is out, one can browse
> > the NL sites, and in several cases you get the feeling that you are
> > in an abandoned place; this will give our users a very bad idea of
> > what's happening at AOO.
> >
> > Just some examples:
> >
> > * http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/de/index.html last Neuigkeit:
> > 26.01.2011 OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 wurde veröffentlicht
> >
> > * if you look for mailing lists on the French site, you end up in
> > http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/fr/contact-forums.html
> >
> > * on the main site, there is some rather old content that now is
> > outdated and/or looks ugly in the new site layout
> > http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/product/index.html the screen
> > shot is from an older version
> >
> >  http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/why/index.html looks rather
> >  ugly; IIRC on the old site this page was displayed on a separated
> >  window, now it looks rather unprofessional
>
> It is seriously out of date. I think that the ENglish version needs to
> be reworked by ooo-marketing. Personally I would go with simple
> mdtext. This part has a long way to go.
>

> > These examples show that there is a lot to update on the main site
> > *and* the NL sites; instead of multiplying the efforts, we should
> > think of a set-up where the web designers only have to design one
> > site, translators localize the site and volunteers update other
> > localizable content like screenshots.
>
> Now that we have released we are actually seeing activity on the
> various pages. That allows us to move forward.
>
> > Following the main site, I'd think of a common set of pages
> > containing the basic information that should be provided to our
> > users (folder names could be localizable, see the directory
> > structure in
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/es/
> > )
> >

> > /$LANG/index.html div actionstatements - the actions list div news
> > - some news
>
> I've been think about this one as index.mdtext for the actions and
> a news feed. Most of the current index.html is converted into
> a templates/index.html - logic can use "$LANG" to override the GetLang
> JS.
>
> > /$LANG/product/ - describing AOO applications
>
> Suggest mdtext for each application. draw.mdtext, writer.mdtext, and
> then wrap it up.
>

> > /$LANG/why/ - what is AOO and why should you use it
>
> Suggest mdtext for each category, government, education, ... re-use
> product ...

For the Spanish version I have split /why/ into single pages, something
similar is done with /product/

en: http://www.openoffice.org/why/index.html
es: http://www.openoffice.org/es/por-que/index.html

en: http://www.openoffice.org/product/index.html
es: http://www.openoffice.org/es/producto/index.html

I wanted a left navigation div, like
http://people.apache.org/~arielch/images/why-product-left-nav.png

It turns out it's not possible to do so without some hack:
http://people.apache.org/~arielch/patches/0001-Add-left-navigativon-div-in-product-and-why.patch
I'm not familiar with all that Markdown and view.pm, sure you can think
something better :)

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile