incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Volunteers needed: To update NL download pages later this week
Date Tue, 01 May 2012 02:19:48 GMT
Hi Rob, *

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 03:41:29PM -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> The following tasks are on the wiki and need owners:
>

> Manually update the downloads from the Arabic NL homepage
> Manually update the downloads from the Czech NL homepage
> Manually update the downloads from the German NL homepage
> Manually update the downloads from the Spanish NL homepage

I'll take this (and I'll try to find support in the Spanish mailing
list).

> Manually update the downloads from the French NL homepage
> Manually update the downloads from the Hungarian NL homepage
> Manually update the downloads from the Galacian NL homepage
> Manually update the downloads from the Italian NL homepage and
> subpages (pescetti)
> Manually update the downloads from the Japanese NL homepage
> Manually update the downloads from the Dutch NL homepage
> Manually update the downloads from the Brazilian NL homepage
> Manually update the downloads from the Russian NL homepage
> Manually update the downloads from the Simplified Chinese NL homepage
> Manually update the downloads from the Traditional Chinese NL homepage
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Distribution+Tasks
>
> Only one of them has an owner (Thanks, Andrea!)
>
> What needs to be done?
>
> We need someone to review these NL pages and identify what needs to be
> changed to support the AOO 3..4 release.
>
> Changes to consider:
>
> 1) Branding changes (OpenOffice.org -> Apache OpenOffice)
>
> 2) Updates to download location,  for the 3.4 releases instead of the
> 3.3 release
>
> 3) References to the old LGPL license need to be changed to Apache 2.0 License
>
> 4) References to old NLC email addresses, marketing leads, etc., need
> to be replaced by the new Apache email lists.
>
> 5) Other similar changes.
>
> You don't need to do a complete rewrite of the pages.  But we should
> "refresh" the page with information on the AOO 3.4 release.

If you take a look at http://www.openoffice.org/es/ the page news almost
a complete rewrite.

* The main page look ugly
* In some cases, the content does not seem to match the ASF way of doing
  things, lot of pages with "dubious content", for example
  http://www.openoffice.org/es/comunidad/servicios.html
  http://www.openoffice.org/es/lecturas/lecturas_0022.html
  etc.
* references to old mailing lists and list not under the ASF control
  http://www.openoffice.org/es/comunidad/listas.html
* several dead links
* etc.

In short, the most practical solution here seems to simply translate the
main pages from the English site.

> Timeline looks like this:
>
> -- Wednesday May 2nd -- Vote ends on approving the 3.4 release
>
> -- Thursday-Friday -- Update the mirrors with the release, test the
> new download websites.
>
> -- Over the weekend, additional website updates and testing
>
> -- Monday or Tuesday, if everything is working well, then we make
> public announcement
>

> So ideally we would have the NL website updates done at the end of
> this week.   However, we should not make them be live on the
> production server until after the mirrors are populated.  Maybe
> easiest way to coordinate is to submit patches for the changes into
> BZ?

Given that time line, we better start translating from the English site.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina