incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving Category-B tarballs (was Re: [PROPOSAL] Starting the graduation process)
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 01:45:18 GMT

--- Mer 30/5/12, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> ha scritto:

> > So *NOW* you are admitting that those tarballs are
> part
> > of the Release??
> >

> Not at all.  But they are referenced from build
> files.  I hope this distinction is clear.

No. If they are just referenced then we don't depend
on having them there: we just have to replace the
reference. A nice text file mentioning where to find
them (ooo-exttas @ Apache Extras) *is* a reference.

> Again, go back to the licensing page and the principles
> stated there. This is not a crusade to eradicate
> category-b code from the face of the earth.

I didn'r say I am eradicating anything (yet), they just can't
be in SVN.

  This is about making it clear to downstream
> consumers what
> the dependencies are, what obligations those dependencies
> bring, and
> to require an explicit, informed decision for the downstream
> developer
> to enable the use of category-b binaries.    We
> are doing all of that.
>
> > We don't have permission from legal@ to ship
> Category-B
> > sources .. that must be fixed .. with axe.
> >

> Put the axe away, Pedro.   As you know,
> category-b code is not
> included in the release.  We already went through the
> audit on that.

There was no audit. Mr RAT never examined those and we
discussed this was a temporary situation.

> In case it is not clear, I'll veto any attempt by you to
> break the 3.4 source distributions.

You mean source distribution (tarballs) don't build on
their own and depend on what we carry in SVN? Sounds
like something is wrong.

Well ... those files are not required by default for
the build, they are only optionally used and we did it
on purpose so as long as we make a small adjustment in
the buildbots I don't see what you can veto about it.

And while you are so brave about vetoing hypothetical
issues ... I already axed a couple of tarballs from the
old Apache commons and Lucene. Have fun putting them
back :-P.

Pedro.