incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Starting the graduation process
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 15:05:47 GMT
Hi Andre;

--- Mer 30/5/12, Andre Fischer <af@a-w-f.de> ha scritto:

> > The idea that we have remaining issues with Category-B
> > tarballs in the tree has been around since before the
> > release, and one of our mentors (Ross I recall) did
> > acknowledge my point of view.
> >
> > I did offer to step down then but I don't mean to make
> > a big issue out of this. If I step down it will be
> > communicated in the private list exclusively. I would
> > still be a committer and nothing would really change
> > for me.
> >
> > What I feel is disappointing is the lack of
> > acknowledgement that there *is* an issue. Category-B
> > software can be included in releases in binary form
> > but it should be otherwise actively discouraged, and
> in
> > general unsupported: it should not be included in the
> > buildbots and using it should be, in general terms, a
> > PITA.
>
> But the binary builds have to come from somewhere.
> Unless we want to drop the features for which we
> need category-B libraries then making it
> harder to build them is IMHO not the right way to go.

I have an idea: if you look at the stax api module,
there is an option to copy the binaries in a download
dir. This works very well for java libraries (saxon,
rhino, even beanshell).

Seamonkey we can probably live without.
The big problem is still Coin-MP: we really should have
the option to use the external library in configure.

> But maybe moving the offending libraries to another server
> would be a first step?  If you find a server and copy the files
> over then I am willing to adapt the scripts accordingly.

I will do this next week. I will probably use Apache extras and
at a later time we could leave there the old GPL'd stuff too
(unsupported of course).

Pedro.