incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Starting the graduation process
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 02:21:55 GMT
Hi;

--- Mar 29/5/12, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> > This is admittedly a stop gap solution to comply
> > better with the Apache policies, the real fix would
> > be to work collectively on replacing the code that
> > can be replaced:
>
> Alternatively, it is possible to include cat B [1]
> dependencies in binary form.

We do this for FreeBSD and it works great.

> Is there any need to include the source?

No. The real reason why OOo historically has carried
the sources for everything is/was that previously the
GPL forced developers to make the sources available.

The issue is the multiplatform support. For builders
on platforms like Windows it's not really fun to go
looking for the different dependencies. This said,
for Java stuff it is perfectly OK to include only
binaries (except for our old saxon-B, which is
deprecated upstream so we have to carry the sources
somewhere)

> [1] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b

While [1] is the official document, I find the original
draft policy explains things much better:

http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html

cheers,

Pedro.