incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Pedro Giffuni <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Starting the graduation process
Date Tue, 29 May 2012 18:29:33 GMT
Hi Drew;

--- Mar 29/5/12, drew <> ha scritto:


> > >> >>
>> >> Yes the situation was specifically postponed as a graduation
>> >> issue, I am not going through that discussion again.
>> >>
>> >> I made a concrete proposal with two alternatives:
>> >>
>> >> - They are moved to a friendly ftp/http site.
>> >> - I step down from the PPMC to avoid the community
>> >> the pain of a -1 vote.
>> >
> Could be - it was just the way Pedro phrased his comment I
> thought perhaps his thinking was being influenced by the
> earlier remarks.

The idea that we have remaining issues with Category-B
tarballs in the tree has been around since before the
release, and one of our mentors (Ross I recall) did
acknowledge my point of view.

I did offer to step down then but I don't mean to make
a big issue out of this. If I step down it will be
communicated in the private list exclusively. I would
still be a committer and nothing would really change
for me.

What I feel is disappointing is the lack of
acknowledgement that there *is* an issue. Category-B
software can be included in releases in binary form
but it should be otherwise actively discouraged, and in
general unsupported: it should not be included in the
buildbots and using it should be, in general terms, a

IMHO this project benefited greatly from the Category-X
replacement and in general I would like the project to
head in a direction that will lead to greater license
and code simplification but the current situation where
we work-around the policy issues instead of solving them
is (again IMO) unacceptable.


View raw message