incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Meeks <michael.me...@suse.com>
Subject Re: LibreOffice relicensing efforts
Date Thu, 24 May 2012 04:28:34 GMT

On Wed, 2012-05-23 at 22:51 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> There is very little code of value in AOO that can simply be copied
> as-is into LO and then never touched again.   Typically the code will
> need to be modified when initially merged into LO.  But then, as bugs
> are fixed or the feature is enhanced in AOO, LO will want to merge
> these patches in again.  And what if then LO has its own unique bug
> fixes or enhancements to the feature taken from AOO?   Greater merge
> complexity, maintenance of separate change sets, etc.

	Indeed - it is, in part, for this reason that we make explicit in the
FAQ that getting your code into AOO is no short-cut to getting it into
both products.

> The cost of such merges, in terms of developer effort, is significant,
> as well as being error prone.   For any non-trivial feature it is
> usually far simpler, and cheaper to "push the patch upstream".

	That really depends on the feature and how it is implemented. Many
features are rather de-coupled, and/or no equivalent exists on the other
side. It also depends on whether the Apache project produce nice, clear,
granular commits (I am assuming you will) :-)

	As for 'upstream', I don't see AOO as an up-stream, but a contributor
of some volume of changes - no doubt there is lots of mileage in arguing
about that :-)

>  If they do that, and their patches are accepted into AOO, then they
> reduce their merge expense.    If they don't do that, they quickly get
> involved in a costly merge hell.

	Lets see how it goes; this idea that it is impossible to maintain a
branch and pull code across is rather belied by the existence of a
five-year closed branch that did exactly that from IBM; and an even
longer running version of go-oo that worked rather well. Indeed - our
biggest merge problems were typically associated with code that we had
contributed to Sun.

	ATB,

		Michael.