incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Meeks <michael.me...@suse.com>
Subject Re: LibreOffice relicensing efforts
Date Thu, 24 May 2012 04:21:21 GMT
Hi Rob,

On Wed, 2012-05-23 at 22:31 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> It seems to be based on an interesting theory about what an SGA
> actually does.   It seems to assume that the SGA itself puts the code
> under the Apache License.

	Ah - I can see how you get there from the pre-amble; the emphasis there
is to re-iterate (and credit?) the ultimate origin of the vast bulk of
the code, not to detail the precise mechanics, sorry if that is unclear.
Clearly we'll be basing on the released version of Apache OpenOffice
(incubating) under the AL2, those that have been through the IPMC vote &
release.

	In future, moving ahead, it would seem reasonable to assume that code
commits to the trunk branch, made on top of the clean, released AL2
licensed base are also licensed under the AL2. I assume it is the
intention of the project to do that. Indeed it alway seems somewhat
strange to me to argue that such Work made available under the License
as indicated by a suitable AL2 notice, is -not- under the AL2. However,
clarity there is irrelevant to this process at this time.

> Ultimately, basing a LO license rebasing on a pre-IP review,
> pre-release version of AOO is not recommended.

	So again, that is not the intention.

	All the best,

		Michael.