incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Washington DC Apahe Barcamp
Date Sat, 19 May 2012 02:35:12 GMT
On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 22:02 -0400, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
> On 2012-05-18, at 21:54 , drew jensen wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just a quick reminder on this.
> >
> > I will be attending the Barcamp tomorrow and I will, if possible, give a
> > brief presentation regarding our project.
> >
> > It would be great if I could give a peak to the presentation, but for
> > that it would have to be finished already... so that is out - it will be
> > ready by 9 AM however :) of course I will post it to the wiki
> > afterwards.
> >
> > However, if anyone believes there is something particular you would like
> > highlighted I will check emails over the next couple of hours - so go
> > ahead and post here or direct to me, either way.
> >

> Drew, thanks for doing this and I wish I could join you in the fun!
>
> I'd say that heaping praise on Apache at an Apache event would probably only elicit skeptical
cynicism, but maybe also beers. :-) Yet, if you could encourage all to check us out….. :-)

> Oh, one thing. A while ago, Propylon, a company, was working on refining OOo for legal
work; many law firms and related use WP 5.x or beyond. OOo had some legal templates but the
fact is that a huge portion of the legal world is unable to budge from the weight of electrons
and paper, however close to museum pieces they be. Yet legal workers want open standards,
open source just like the rest of us.

Hmm - odd you would mention that. As it turns out I will be staying in
the Metro area an extra day and meeting up with a friend who happens to
run the digital archive service for the US Supreme Court on Sunday. The
subject of FOSS office suites may come up as I very recently helped his
son out of tight spot by walking him via phone through the process of
replacing a crashed and badly broken Windows installation with a new
Ubuntu 12.04 install, then his college paper started in MSO over to
LibO..all while on a family vacation at the beach. Dad is now curious,
he is also and most definitely a seasoned MS user/fan and already
looking to OOXML, so I expect a conversation, after talking about the
Nats vs O's (pro baseball) of course, as one must have priorities ;) on
the subject of open standards and ODF.

Though your remarks mention wordperfect format files and isn't that kind
of an issue with AOO?