incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Dealing with a large and diverse project - Native Languages and project teams
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 15:48:39 GMT
On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 11:36 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 11:20 AM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 11:08 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:

> >> What we do currently:
> >>
> >> 1) One big ooo-dev list
> >>
> >> 2) Some NL-specific lists.  I don't subscribe to them at all, so
> >> others would need to say how they are currently being used.
> >>
> >> 3) We have some emerging procedures for how volunteers can contribute
> >> to product and website translations, but this information is scattered
> >> in old ooo-dev posts and not easy to find.
> >>
> >> I wonder whether a good step forward might be to document on our
> >> project website (http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg) the
> >> procedures from #3 above.  Then when we have a new volunteer on the
> >> list we can point them to this information.  This could expand to
> >> other NL topics such as local marketing/events, trademark usage,  NL
> >> mailing lists, etc.
> >
> > hmm I would say, eventually yes, but if you mean - one giant dev list is
> > already the decided outcome and so just document it as such, then I'd
> > say no, not yet.
> >

> What part of "What we do currently" was unclear?
>
> > I do not think this project is such that one can just say 'the Apache
> > way' and be done with it - there is about to be a new Apache way me
> > thinks.
> >
> > For instance I wonder how much experience there is in the Apache Way
> > with a project which will need to look local in certain places around
> > the world (China, Vietnam, Brasil, Venzuela and Bolivia come to mind
> > quickly) as without this the local government support goes away and
> > without that so does the local project - or at least that is my
> > understanding of the situation in those places. I use that only to say
> > that IMO this needs some real thought as to how this project is going to
> > build itself.
> >

> If someone wants to create a domestic redistribution of AOO and market
> it locally, in order to get local government support, then they should
> do it.  In fact I'd encourage them to do it.  I guarantee that IBM
> will be making and distributing our own repackaging of AOO.  Why
> shouldn't others?  Yes, there are basic trademark issues that will
> need to be observed, but nothing that would prevent someone from
> marketing AOO outside of the Apache project.
>
> For example, SourceForge put up some banner ads to help promote the
> AOO 3.4 release.  Did they require PMC approval?  No.  Did they need
> to discuss their plans in detail on ooo-dev?  No.
>
> But for the work that is or becomes part of official Apache releases,
> the work needs to occur here.  The decision making needs to occur
> here.  The PMC oversight needs to occur here.   Ditto for anyone who
> claims to speak on behalf of the project, in whatever location or in
> whatever language.

Hi Rob

First - I really am slow at times, so please bear with me.

So you are saying I believe that our new project here is not like the
old, it is not for this project to market the results of the work, that
is to be left for other organizations - beyond of course promoting the
project as a way of gathering new contributors.

Is that correct?

Thanks,

//drew