incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Dealing with a large and diverse project - Native Languages and project teams
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 15:20:10 GMT
On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 11:08 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM, drew jensen
> <drewjensen.inbox@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Recently there has been some discussion on the projects private ML
> > regarding issues about native language groups and how best to support
> > work groups which will by definition be somewhat circumscribed from the
> > whole by virtue of language without losing the cohesion of a single
> > project focus.
> >
> > I invite others pick that up here:
>
> What we do currently:
>
> 1) One big ooo-dev list
>
> 2) Some NL-specific lists.  I don't subscribe to them at all, so
> others would need to say how they are currently being used.
>
> 3) We have some emerging procedures for how volunteers can contribute
> to product and website translations, but this information is scattered
> in old ooo-dev posts and not easy to find.
>
> I wonder whether a good step forward might be to document on our
> project website (http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg) the
> procedures from #3 above.  Then when we have a new volunteer on the
> list we can point them to this information.  This could expand to
> other NL topics such as local marketing/events, trademark usage,  NL
> mailing lists, etc.

hmm I would say, eventually yes, but if you mean - one giant dev list is
already the decided outcome and so just document it as such, then I'd
say no, not yet.

I do not think this project is such that one can just say 'the Apache
way' and be done with it - there is about to be a new Apache way me
thinks.

For instance I wonder how much experience there is in the Apache Way
with a project which will need to look local in certain places around
the world (China, Vietnam, Brasil, Venzuela and Bolivia come to mind
quickly) as without this the local government support goes away and
without that so does the local project - or at least that is my
understanding of the situation in those places. I use that only to say
that IMO this needs some real thought as to how this project is going to
build itself.

//drew