incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Troll warning
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 16:48:51 GMT
On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 11:18 -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> On May 9, 2012, at 11:03 AM, drew wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 10:49 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> >> There are a small number of active, vocal and
> >> negative people at LibreOffice who like to beat up on OpenOffice and
> >> the work we do here.
> >
> > That cuts both ways.
>
> That's true... In general though, I've found that if people
> mention OpenOffice, that many LO-related people will immediately
> jump in and turn the conversation towards LO (for example,
> someone will post or tweet something about OpenOffice and
> they will immediately reply "Hey, what about LibreOffice"),
> but I don't see nearly that amount of the reverse behavior.
>
> I guess partly that's to be expected...

Hi Jim

IMO 'back biting', is what I would call this, is easily the most
destructive behavior that a person can partake in, eroding civility
amongst voluntary associations, if not kept in check.

It really is something that we all need to watch out for, directly.

I will try to refrain myself, the only person I can actually control ;)
and I think most of the folks I talk with on a regular basis on this
list and across the different projects (L&O) lists do also - there are
lots of 'extended associates', users, that will always do some of what
you describe, it will likely even increase from them here over the short
run, my guess anyway, but I think the core folks will not.

On the other hand, there are two successful groups of people here, L and
O, and there lots of Alpha's required to form successful groups on the
scale of these groups...

//drew