incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: "Google Docs Boasts 450 New Fonts and 60 New Templates"
Date Fri, 04 May 2012 18:26:07 GMT
On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 14:12 -0400, Donald Harbison wrote:
> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Roberto Galoppini <rgaloppini@geek.net>wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> > >
> > http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57426699-93/google-docs-boasts-450-new-fonts-and-60-new-templates/
> > >
> > > Is there any easy way to tell how many templates we have in our
> > > template repository?  It might make sense to mention the templates and
> > > extensions repositories in our AOO 3.4 announcement, since that is a
> > > statement on the scope of the larger ecosystem.  Someone who
> > > contributes a template or writes an extension is a contributor to the
> > > overall OpenOffice effort.
> >
> > Numbers, here we go:
> >
> > - 864 Extensions, total 2856 releases
> > - 2340 Templates in 18 languages:
> >
> > 25      da
> > 313     de
> > 57      el
> > 1115    en
> > 87      es
> > 142     fr
> > 2       he
> > 14      hu
> > 100     it
> > 133     ja
> > 46      nl
> > 82      pl
> > 54      pt-br
> > 129     ru
> > 9       sl
> > 19      sv
> > 3       zh-hans
> > 10      zh-hant
> >
> > Let me add that next week we plan to go out with a blog entry about
> > Extensions and Templates, containing some stats and an interview to
> > one of the authors. If you wish we can coordinate the timing. My idea
> > was to publish this a couple of days after the AOO 3.4 PR. For that
> > day we are working on a short video showing some of the top features
> > of the new release.
> >

> I like your idea... but lets agree to allow the announcement post to stay
> 'on the top' for a couple of days at least; i.e. through Friday of next
> week, May 11.  So you may want to target posting the week of May 14. Bear
> in mind that Juergen is planning to post one wearing his Release Manager
> hat, and going into more details on the release itself than we have done
> with the original announcement content.

Another +1 on the ideas, the video particularly, here - and with the
idea of staggering the publishing of these blogs and videos.

@Roberto - the idea of a short video interview with extension
developers, is this something you are considering on any kind of
recurring basis? I quite like the idea, and maybe even mix in one of the
core devs, should, or when, the opportunity presents itself. Anyway,
it's easy for me to 'say'.. I know they take work.

> > Maybe I better move this discussion on ooo-marketing?
> >

> Well, sure, but to be honest, there's not alot of eyeballs on
>  ooo-marketing...yet.

I'd agree with that also.

//drew