incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Is there a AOO repo for ubuntu?
Date Fri, 04 May 2012 00:20:50 GMT
On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 19:42 -0400, Wolf Halton wrote:
> http://sourcefreedom.com
> Apache developer:
> wolfhalton@apache.org
> On May 3, 2012 5:20 PM, "drew" <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 16:29 -0400, Wolf Halton wrote:

> right

> donwloaded
> no

> the
> (for me).

> > > I am one of the odd ones who actually enjoys having multiple
> very-similar
> > > office suites available, if I can choose the one I want to work with.
> > > :-)         I have both sets of icons in my main menu on Ubuntu_Studio
> > > 12.04
> > >

> > Right - well, Hagar is referring not to the application icons, having
> > multiple installs (including as it has been for a long time, both the
> > distro version of OO.o and the vanilla version) - it's the file
> > association icons. Installing the vanilla packages doesn't update the
> > system settings for the file association.
> >
> > That's more a question IMO about how we would want the files in the PPA
> > to install - as the current vanilla deb packages do, my first vote would
> > be for this. Though I would be in favor of offering an option to change
> > the file type (mime type) associations, ala Windows install.
> >
> > //drew
> >
> Oh, right.  I see.
> I agree with offering a choice rather than just clobbering the old
> associations or leaving them alone as they were.

Hi Wolf,

My opinion would be that for the first step we would to deliver from the
PPA exactly the same results one would get downloading the binary DEB
files and following the manual installation procedure.

Once we actually have that, checked and functioning well, IMO we should
look at what extensions are appropriate - that issue of mime/assoc one,
integration support for Unity, what do about Evolution.. etc. Anyway so
I'd think.

//drew