incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: "I want to stay informed about OpenOffice" option for the home page?
Date Thu, 03 May 2012 20:55:17 GMT
On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 22:29 +0200, RGB ES wrote:
> 2012/5/3 Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org>:
> > On 03/05/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
> >>
> >> One thing we don't have any more is that registration dialog from
> >> OpenOffice.org.   Does anyone recall what that used to do?
> >

> > If I recall correctly, in different periods it was used for a user survey
> > (and this would be a meaningful suggestion for the future maybe), for
> > registering accounts at Sun and for registering accounts at Oracle.
> >
> > You can get an idea of the survey at
> > http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Renaissance:Phase_1:OOoUser_Survey
> >
> > Regards,
> >  Andrea.
>
> It was also used to register the user "with him/herself": The
> registration process helped the user to fill the fields under Tools →
> Options → OpenOffice.org → User data. Now, for most new users that
> info will remain empty. While not a problem by itself, this means for
> example that documents will always open on the first page and not on
> the last edited point, because the user data do not match the document
> author.
>
> Regards

Hi Ricardo

That is a very good point IMO. I think it's fair to look at that as the
loss of an, optional, feature - this step of entering user information.

I'm tempted to ask you to use the issue tracker, entering the
description and marking the issue as Request for Enhancement.

Not that we should have the on-line registration, but rather to add a
(strong?) prompt during installation, with the intent to have the user
enter that information.

What do you think?

//drew