incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: A wiki about how to support a VBA API
Date Thu, 03 May 2012 05:17:55 GMT

On May 2, 2012, at 9:45 PM, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:

> On 05/02/2012 04:29 AM, Peng Chen wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>      I post a wiki about how to support a VBA API in OpenOffice,
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/How_to_support_a_VBA_API_in_OpenOffice
>>
>>      Any feedback will be appreciated, thanks.
>>
> I am almost embarrassed to say this, but after having read it, I have no idea what the
article is about. I think that the problem is that I lack the proper vocabulary. For example,
when I see "VBA", I think "Visual Basic Applications", which is something that MSO (Microsoft
Office) supports, and not OOo (OpenOffice.org).

> Is this an article related to the VBA compatibility mode stuff that can be enabled using
a specific Option from inside of StarBasic?

> After I have a handle on exactly what is accomplished, then I will read this again, since
it looks like you are probably answering some very specific questions that I have in areas
that I do not fully understand, but have searched for in the past.

> Sorry for my lack of immediate understanding.

I'm not sure what I am reading either. My reference is using Apache POI and its User Defined
Function (UDF) capability to rewrite a VBA function in Java. This allows me to have a different
implementation of a VBA function that is not in a Basic derivative. Whether that works or
not depends on whether I can accurately code the VBA in Java. This is not easy.

I think that this API may be more about "UDF" support than VBA support.

To me VBA support means that I can run my MS Office VBAs in the program without any trouble.

Still, UDF support is useful. VBA support is a panacea.

What's it all about Peng?

Regards,
Dave