incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Linux install issues
Date Mon, 21 May 2012 21:10:36 GMT
I am not changing anything.  I don't think there is any such thing as owning file names and
it is too late to claim them now.  And that doesn't matter.  What matters is the impact on
users and on the cost of supporting them with the present arrangement.

 - Dennis

PS: I am also annoyed by the heavy-handed way that AOO 3.4.0 stomps on existing file associations
too.

-----Original Message-----
From: Juergen Schmidt [mailto:jogischmidt@googlemail.com]
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2012 13:56
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org; dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Subject: Re: Linux install issues

Am Samstag, 19. Mai 2012 um 19:32 schrieb Dennis E. Hamilton:

	One enduring solution would be to break with the past and not use the same file names for
the binary bits, the same registry keys, etc., any longer. That would solve a few problems
on Windows too.

I think we own the name and we are probably not the project who should change any names.
We should be careful with this kind of changes because we can potentially break a lot of existing
projects who rely on names, registry entries etc.

So please be careful with such changes without deeper analysis what depends in this...

Juergen

	- Dennis